URGENT Quail help needed

• 7 Replies

daisy1990

URGENT Quail help needed
« on: July 19, 2011, 20:49 »
One of our Quail (a year old) is holding her head over to one side, she is able to stand up if we lift her to her feet but is very subdued and if she rolls over seems to be unable to get back on her feet.  Her five companions are giving her a wide berth (she is upstairs in a coop they have all chosen to stay downstairs although normally they run up and down all the time).  It is possible she has hit her head on the roof of the coop (we are just building an aviary for them as they do fly upwards if startled).  Any advice please?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

kegs

Re: URGENT Quail help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20 »
Sorry I know nothing about Quail.  However I did find this thred on the Farming Friends web site which sounds similar to your situation.

http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=260

Good luck.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 14:09 »
thanks Kegs, I appreciate you trying to help.  We have brought her inside in a cat box and she is trying to eat and drink but looks very weak.  I spoke to our vet (who very honestly said he had never treated Quail and he would google to see what it could be) he came up with the same suggestion that she is likely to have banged her head and will either have a head injury or concussion which may recover.  He said that most vets would not treat Quail as they are considered a flock and vets are trained to treat a flock if it is commercially viable to do so, but to cull individual birds.  Doesn't help when we get so attached to the little things!

kegs

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 15:23 »
That's okay and hopefully someone who keeps quail will notice your query soon.

Clutching at straws here but this quail farm has a very detailed web site - perhaps they wouldn't mind if you contacted them for some advice??  Just a thought!

http://www.quailfarm.co.uk/index.php/contact-quail-farm

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 21:07 »
sorry to report that the poor little thing has died.  She struggled to stand all day and although she tried to eat and drink she kept wobbling over.  We had hoped she was just concussed and would become stronger but sadly it wasn't to be. Isnt it strange how attached we become to a small bird!

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24 »
So sorry about your quail but you did your very best for her. Despite having a lot of headroom I did find one of my quails dead with a broken neck and can only think that she had flown up way too fast. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08 »
They nearly have their 6ft tall aviary ready to move into, wish she'd have been able to move into her new home!
Hopefully the other 5 will be very happy in their aviary!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 14:21 »
So sorry to hear about your quail.   :(
The extra headroom should help for the others.  Good luck and keep us posted....oh and how about some pics  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Urgent Help needed

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 20:25
by hillfooter
xx
URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Started by fenella on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 10:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
urgent help needed!!!!

Started by rach312 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 11:51
by rach312
xx
urgent help needed

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 14:41
by xx bluey xx

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 29 queries.