Best Soil For Tomatoes

• 10 Replies

bendipa

Best Soil For Tomatoes
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:54 »
I('m growing tonatoes in 9" pots usung John Innes 2. Is this the best soil to grow them in or would a soilless compost have beeen better?

Also is it better to water the pots a little every day, or give a big watering every 2 - 3 days?

Springlands

Re: Best Soil For Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:28 »
Your tomatoes should be OK in the John Innes No 2 but I do think that your pot might be a bit small. You also have to remember that plants grown in pots will need a weekly feed after about 6/8 weeks as the nutrients in the compost get used up. In warm weather I would water the plants everyday.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 23:32 »
I allways start my tomatoes off in multi purpose compost, keep moving them into bigger pots, then eventually plant them out into growbags, they have the perfect balance for toms :D

Try to water them either early morning or late evening as the sun wont scorch any water that lands on the plants leaves. Plus less water will be evaporated and wasted, try to water them every day in warm conditions.

If tomatoe plants arent watered regulary and consistently, then when the fruts establish they can split, but this is if they have been repeatedly pushed to dry and wet extremes.

:)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:21 »
Personally I bung my tomatoes into pots in any cheap compost and feed them regularly.

Most of my 2 dozen plants are in 12" or 9" pots standing on top of grow-bags. I feed via the top of the pot and water into the growbag. It's my almost-ring-culture method.

Having both pot and grow-bag gives a longer deeper root run and greater access to water.

The 6 plants in pots only (12" pots) stand in flower-pot saucers again to aid the amount of water available. When it's very sunny they are watered twice a day.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:10 »
Compost wise,I do the same as Learner.

Whatever is on offer at the time. I usually end up with grow bags and just empty the contents into large pots.

Much chepaer than John Innes.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bendipa

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 14:22 »
I don't like the idea of 'any old compost that is available at the time'. Last year I bought a bag of cheap peat-free compost from Lidls which was used for my strawberry plants in containers. You wouldn't think strawbs were that fussy but it was a near disaster as I lost almost half my plants in the end. As I've found that John Innes seems to be the universal growing medium that all contained fruit and veg plants get along with, I've decided to stick with that from now on.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 14:36 »
It's worked for me for over 40 years!

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 18:23 »
I('m growing tonatoes in 9" pots usung John Innes 2. Is this the best soil to grow them in or would a soilless compost have beeen better?

Also is it better to water the pots a little every day, or give a big watering every 2 - 3 days?
hi bendipa,ive tried something a bit different this season,last season i used tomato grow bags this year ive used a mix of peat grow bag, chicken manure,lotty soil and lotty compost in 15 litre pails, all of equal quantity.showing good results at the moment.feeding once weekly.now as for watering ive put up greenhouse shading this  time and that certainly makes a big difference.the pots dont dry out so quickly so i water using the finger check in the soil method,pending on the daily temp,i did set out to water 2 and a half litres twice daily but that was just a guide. the plants look alot healthier ,no leaf curl(which could be down to bright sunlight) or spots, blobs,mould,pretty much how i imagine them to be.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 20:33 »
I recently passed a house which had a row of pot grown tomato plants. All the lower leaves had been removed and just the ones near the fruits left on the plant. I've never seen this before, does it help to produce more fruit, there were certainly a lot of tomatoes on each stem?

Springlands

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 21:04 »
I recently passed a house which had a row of pot grown tomato plants. All the lower leaves had been removed and just the ones near the fruits left on the plant. I've never seen this before, does it help to produce more fruit, there were certainly a lot of tomatoes on each stem?

Lots of people (me included) remove the lower leaves to let air and light at the growing tomatoes. Helps avoid botrytis and also helps with ripening. You have to be careful not to remove too many leaves as they are necessary for photosynthesis.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 21:12 »
there is so much that could be spent when growing if one wanted to but for me I agree that the cheapest compost for tomatoes, providing they have space for the roots etc, works a treat. I feed the soil weekly and have rarely had issues with tomatoes both in the greenhouse and those planted outside

xx
Growing tomatoes in the same soil?

Started by Spudman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 20:13
by Mash Mad
xx
Soil preparation for outdoor tomatoes?

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 08:21
by Mattgregory27
xx
Tomatoes grown in open soil...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 14:26
by Growster...
xx
How do I look after my soil?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 11:38
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 36 queries.