Leading up to first eggs

• 7 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Leading up to first eggs
« on: July 17, 2011, 21:17 »
My eldest 2 chickens are now 15 weeks old. I was hoping egg laying wouldn't start until September after my holidays so I would know more about their routine but they are getting a bit noisier and Esmerelda has started squatting at funny times. Gracie has always had quite a red face and comb so I can't really use that as a guide. They are perfectly happy chickens and their adopted sisters ( who are 3 weeks younger) enjoy plenty of free ranging. Are there any other signs I could look for?
So far the nest boxes have been blocked off and they all happily sleep on their roosts every night, they have an interesting run for when I am out and never go into the coop during the day. I am thinking of opening the nest boxes and putting straw in, will they instinctively realise or should I put some golf balls in there.
I still have an amount of growers pellets left, this bag has lasted 10 weeks so far. I think I have at least 3 weeks worth left, should I buy another bag of the same next, bearing in mind it will another 3 months or should I go onto layers then. My younger chickens are buff orpingtons and from what I have read won't be laying anytime soon. Do I keep them all on growers or put all on layers. As I can't imagine they would only eat what the book recommends and leave the intended food for their sisters to eat.
I guess I could buy smaller bags of food but not only are they much more expensive but at some point some of the chickens will be eating the wrong type of food intended for their situation, as they will almost definitely start laying at different times

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Re: Leading up to first eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 21:31 »
Hi Gracie, i'm no expert but my four chickens are either just coming upto lay or are in lay so I can share my experiences!

When they came upto lay their wattles grew alot and they began crouching (spreading wings slightly legs braced..) when I put a hand over their backs.  They also became less flighty and happier with me handling them.  Two of them began laying a couple of weeks after starting to crouch.  I have one at the moment however, that has been crouching for a while but no egg yet!
I think the crouching buisness is the best indication.

Mine managed to find the nestbox by themselves without the need of golf balls or anything...  I would unblock them if they are sleeping on their perches- mine don't show any interest in them apart from when they are laying and they have had access to them from day 1.

Feed wise be careful with growers pellets as some are medicated (mine were) and you can not consume eggs if the chicken is eating the medicated feed.  Aparrently it is standard practice to medicate growers pellets... If you think they are coming upto lay switch them onto layers- I don't think it will affect their growth all that much and they should be old enough to handle the increase in calcium.

Think that is all!  Enjoy your first egg :)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 21:36 »
Thanks nickie, your description of the crouching is spot on. I just hope it happens soon as I want to be on hand initially in case of problems. I have a friend who is going to call in every day for the fortnight I am away, I go in 4 weeks. I should probably stop worrying as chickens have been laying for years with no help from me so guess they will manage

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 21:38 »
Here is a quote about measuring the distance between the pin bones near the vent with your fingers (externally) to see if your hens are ready to lay.

One finger - weeks and weeks off laying Two fingers - 4-6 weeks off laying Two and a half fingers - couple of weeks off laying Three Fingers - Laying is VERY near - or she is laying.

I found this a very good guide for our girls.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 21:44 »
Ooh are pin bones obvious. Sorry for the ignorance but I only ever check to make sure they have a clean bum at present

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 21:57 »
If you hold your hen with your fingers between her legs with your left hand her head towards your arm.  With your right hand under her bottom you should be able to gently feel two bones that meet in a V shape.  These are the pin bones, if you can lay your finger between these bones that is one finger measurement and so on with more fingers until ready to lay or laying at three fingers.  Hard to describe but you will know when you handle your hens.  Choose one that is crouching and one that is not to see (or feel) the difference.

Hope this helps.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 22:02 »
Great, they are now going to sleep will try tomorrow if they are late rising. If I catch them early enough they are more than happy for me to have a cuddle. Thank you for that.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 22:15 »
No probs, just sharing what I have learnt from here and the rest of the web and of course hen keeping books.

Just make sure they are relaxed when you start and if you find it hard to pick them up which can be difficult when they haven't started laying.  You can have them on your knee or check them with left hand under legs and leave them on the floor and right under rear end.  This might make them calmer.  I found the more skittish ones were not ready to lay.  This might have just been my hens though.

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 36 queries.