Newbie looking for advice!!

• 7 Replies

sarahwilson

Newbie looking for advice!!
« on: July 17, 2011, 17:02 »
Hi all,

I live in Leeds and after several years of debating how to use my front garden, I have decided to use a large percentage of it to grow vegetables.

I have an area of approx 20 feet width which I can have up to 2.5 feet in depth that gets full sun from midday. This area has a wall with a 6 foot fence behind it and there is about a foot of wall available as well for growing things in containers.

I have a similar area available at the other side of the garden but thats only getting sun over half of it, the rest is shaded by my house so I don't know how usable that will be for growing things.

I wondering if there is anything I can plant soon or if I just need get the area prepared for next year. Ideally I want to grow a mix of soft fruit, veg & salad veg but I don't know if I have enough room for all that!

Also I have seen quite a few people are growing in raised beds, is that the best way to do it?

Thanks all, I have really enjoyed looking on here this afternoon, theres loads of info!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie looking for advice!!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 17:26 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm going to move this over to the GYO forum as it's asking questions about GYO; feel free to pop back to the Welcome forum for a proper hello  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chillinut

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 20:59 »
Hi

We are in Leeds too .. Hi  :)

We have done the same thing and turned our front garden into a mini allotment this is our first year growing so probably won't help - more of what we managed to get in a garden  ;)

We have broccolli carrots caulis kale and onions in the beds we did have beetroot but we have already had those up :) peas and cabbages and french beans

In pots we have herbs and strawberries and some blueberry bushes and blackcurrant plants we did potatoes in the small potato bags and didn't get a bad yeild for our first try

We decided we would like to try different things so haven't gone mad on qty of things untill we get the hang of it

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have  :)

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:54 »
Hi lots of things you can plant now.  carrots will still do well- I put ten rows in yesterday
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 10:06 »
Radishes and beetroot went in this weekend over here, and will keep planting salad leaves until the end of August.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 16:20 »
Hi !

I am in the Peak district and have gradually converted my front garden from flowers to veg. I use raised beds and LOVE them. I started with one and gradually bought more. I also invested in some insect protection this year which has been fantastically successful. Not a single black fly or caterpillar  :D

The beds also look fantastic and with such healthy plants make my my front garden really attractive  :happy:

An allotment must be great to own but there is an amazing amount of pleasure being able to just pop outside and pick something needed by the cook.

My most successful and useful crops are Pak Choi (http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/brassica-and-leafy-green-seeds/pak-choy-green-f1-hybrid/268TM) , a fantastic salad turnip called Oasis (http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/all-other-vegetable-seeds/turnip-oasis/433TM), spinach, beetroot and carrots.

You could definitely start some Pak Choi  and spinach off now as well as your carrots.

ENJOY

JB1970

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 21:58 »
I'm a novice too - in my first season of growing veg.

I deliberated for ages over whether to build raised beds but I'm now really pleased I did.
They look good, are easy to maintain and I feel like I'm much more in control of what happens in each bed.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 00:30 »
Welcome JB1970.

Is this link any help? Allotment & Veg Growing in July. Click and scroll down the page a little.

Raised-beds?
Some people love them - great if you have rocky soil or problems working at ground level.

Best of luck.
 ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by akexi1207 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 19:59
by Yorkie
xx
Newbie - advice please

Started by Suziet8 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 21:22
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Advice for newbie

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 13:56
by ex-cavator
xx
Advice for a newbie!

Started by miss k on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:19
by aqua

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 37 queries.