a question for DD

• 12 Replies

starry

a question for DD
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:55 »
I have read before that you buy your seed peas loose is this local to you ?? I would like to grow loads of peas but seed packets are an expensive way of doing it  :ohmy: ;)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: a question for DD
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 13:14 »
Very expensive way.

Yes, the nursery is local to me. They cost from there £4.99 a kilo that's between 3,000 - 6,000 seed, the beauty being that you don't have to buy a full kilo.

Moles Seeds are not too bad, having done a costing with their site. A kilo of Kelvedon Wonder, for example is £4.35,  but the killer is that unlike their other seed, peas and beans attract a postage charge. There is also a minimum order.

But if you want that many, or can share, you can get 2.5 kilos at a total cost of £15.25, the equivalent of £6.10 a kilo, still way, way below what it costs pro rata in piddling little packets.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:48 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

starry

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 17:07 »
Thanks very much DD I will investigate, my beloved loves the peas now, more than the beetroot!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 17:13 »
Quite right too!

Just by way of price comparison, T & M charge £2.69 for 450 Kelvedon Wonder.

Taking an average of 4,500 seed per kilo, this would work out at £26.90 a kilo!

starry

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 18:34 »
well peas are certainly less of a problem than beetroot now that I have adopted your method of dig a hole and chuck em in thanks couldn't have done it without you!!  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 18:38 »

Simples is best!

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 18:46 »
I've had a really good pea crop this year thanks to some of the pictures oyu posted previously DD. Thanks. I think the mistake I made was that they all came at once. I didn;t realise that they come once and don't come again! I'll try succession planting next year. Is that what you do DD?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 18:52 »
Not really, I aim  for getting them all in early in the season to avoid the pea moth and mildew.

The nearest to what you may call sucessional sowing was when I sowed Kelvedon Wonder 2 weeks apart.  Picking started 2 days apart.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 23:36 »
Do you freeze a good portion of your crop?  I can't imagine that you'd eat the crop from that lot all at once?

m1ckz

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:31 »
i only grw peas once an they where full of maggots , that put me right off growing them,may try again next year ::) :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39 »
To answer the last two, I do freeze a lot of the crop and as I said, the early sowings avoid the worst of the pea moth larvae.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:49 by DD. »

dugless

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 07:34 »
Very expensive way.

Yes, the nursery is local to me. They cost from there £4.99 a kilo that's between 3,000 - 6,000 seed, the beauty being that you don't have to buy a full kilo.

Mole Seeds are not too bad, having done a costing with their site. A kilo of Kelvedon Wonder, for example is £4.35,  but the killer is that unlike their other seed, peas and beans attract a postage charge. There is also a minimum order.

But if you want that many, or can share, you can get 2.5 kilos at a total cost of £15.25, the equivalent of £6.10 a kilo, still way, way below what it costs pro rata in piddling little packets.

I have been given some Mole seeds the germination rate was better than any other seed I have bought. I have looked on their web site. I with my Daughter (who lives in Belgium) will be buying my seed  from them next year.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 07:37 »
I've been advocating Moles for years, especially if you want seed in quantity.

Page created in 0.823 seconds with 36 queries.