Cotton instead of netting...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Cotton instead of netting...
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:18 »
I've run out of nets and need to protect some kale seedlings PDQ.

Has anyone actually tried using black cotton pulled across brassicas, and does it really work?

And, does it have to be black, or can I use beige string, which is coming out of my ears - well, not literally but I've got miles of the stuff!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cotton instead of netting...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 20:12 »
I don't know whether it would work but you run the risk of maiming birds quite seriously, so I wouldn't do it personally.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 23:15 »
My Dad always used to put cotton over seedlings, to keep the sparrows off. I don't think it'd be strong enough to keep pigeons away but it might get tangled in their feet if they break it and then fly away.

Separately, but kind of relevant, we put patterns of fishing line across the pond hoping it would deter herons, it didn't work and the pigeons used to land on it ... and got dunked from time to time. They have a neat way of swimming by flapping their wings, and can certainly manage to cross 3 metres of water without any difficulty. Insects used to land on it too, and it didn't bother the herons. So we gave up, and got some dark coloured fish that seem to be able to hide from the heron.

Could you use your thicker string and hang strips of plastic bags from it? Pigeons don't seem to like flappy stuff.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 01:13 »
there was something on our local gardening programme where a caller cut tape from a cassette and hung strips from posts, the tape would flicker in the breeze and keep birds away.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 05:25 »
Good points against cotton which could hurt birds, so I won't go there...

Also, there are covens of pheasants lurking around, and they're stupid enough to get tangled up and start kicking the place down in fury!

I think it'll be a visit to Homebase for more net - at least they're offering 15% off today!

The humming strip though, used to be sold as such, and my friend the ironmonger sold me one (see an old post, where this chap would sell you a wheelbarrow and an electric mower, even though you only went in for a small packet of radish seeds), and we stretched it across as directed.

The birds really enjoyed the tune it made, and kept coming back to listen for more, pecking at a few veg while they pranced around...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 07:05 »
I never trust anything but a physical barrier since my first year on this plot when then pigeons had their lunch minutes after I put up spinning CD's to entertain them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 10:11 »
I never trust anything but a physical barrier since my first year on this plot when then pigeons had their lunch minutes after I put up spinning CD's to entertain them.

You tried that to too then?

Why did we ever thinnk it would work?  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:46 »

You tried that to too then?

Why did we ever thinnk it would work?  :lol: :lol:

Like the mole hummers KC?

Do they work?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 13:52 »

Like the mole hummers KC?

Do they work?

Yep, sure do. Last year I used them successfully to move the moles on from my lawn, and this year I used them successfully to chase them out of my veggie plot. What they're not good at is holding their charge for long unless it's hot sunny weather (which it rarely is in UK summer). I now have a spare, so one is doing guard duty while the other is unplugged and sitting in a sunny spot to charge up.

clip
White cotton like growth on apple tree

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2020, 19:40
by missmoneypenny
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
I don't like netting

Started by Petite graine on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 13:40
by Lee G
xx
Netting over?

Started by Dora5 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:30
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 36 queries.