Maincrop carrots

• 26 Replies

Snoop

Re: Maincrop carrots
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 18:19 »
Sorry for resurrecting this thread - it seemed better to do this than start another. Hope you don't mind me picking your collective brains.

I have some Autumn King carrot seed I want to sow to overwinter carrots in the ground if poss. First frost here is around 17 October. We hit minus 9 ºC by the end of November at night, though daytime temps are mild by UK standards. The coldest period of the year is January to February (between -12 and -17 ºC at night, though daytime temps are anything from 6 to 21 ºC).

When should I sow these seeds by and am I being optimistic about overwintering them in the ground?

Thanks for any help.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 19:31 »
With those temperatures, I wouldn't consider it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 19:53 »
With those temperatures, I wouldn't consider it.

You would have to dig them and store them some where dry and cool, perhaps in a clamp, or in a box of compost.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 20:00 »
Do the soil temperatures get as low as -12, if the daytime temperatures are quite high?
Anne

Snoop

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 21:33 »
Do the soil temperatures get as low as -12, if the daytime temperatures are quite high?

The soil rarely freezes. When it does, it's usually superficial and thaws quite quickly during the day. I grow parsnips quite successfully (when they germinate and when the dogs don't run all over them...).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 22:44 »
Which programme did we watch recently folks, where the farmers mulched and covered their carrot crops so they could lift them in the winter. Would that method help?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 06:21 »
That was Harvest on the BBC mum.  I remember it being on in the background and they had deep layers of mulch and I think  :unsure: tarps on the fields  :)

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 06:57 »
Which programme did we watch recently folks, where the farmers mulched and covered their carrot crops so they could lift them in the winter. Would that method help?

Isn't this the way that most UK carrots are grown commercially, especially in East Anglia?

They're grown quickly, then put on hold like this until Twongos or Snazberries want a ton or so all exactly 6.7586681 inches long, so they all fit in the plastic bags they've just bought from Indonesia...

Snoop

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 07:45 »

Thanks MoS. For sure it would. So when would you sow them? My veg growing book suggests maincrop carrots need 18 to 24 weeks, which makes me think now would be about right given the date of our first frost. But the seed packet instructions and other threads on this site seem to suggest they can be sown much later. If I sow Autumn King now, are they likely to go woody?

fatbelly

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 08:11 »
Sorry to contradict, but I've actually sown AK at this time of year and had good crops.

Keep them moist until germinated.
I never sow my AK2 Carrots until this time of year and have had great crops that last all winter.
I will be sowing mine sometime in the next 7 days. They wont be ready to harvest until October but its only then that we start to eat Carrots for the winter.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 08:53 »
I'd try the end of June, it's when I'd sow mine, and your first frost is about the same time as here.

Snoop

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 14:55 »
Thanks fatbelly and MoS. We eat quite a lot of carrots all year round. Last year was my first success at growing them. They were so delicious in comparison with shop-bought ones that I'm determined to grow a lot more. I might try two sowings, one now and one at the end of June. That should see us right!

Thanks again.

xx
Maincrop Carrots.

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 22:54
by mumofstig
xx
Maincrop carrots and parsnips

Started by Gellideg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 14:21
by rowlandwells
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
What can I sow alongside Maincrop?

Started by mparveen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 21:12
by DD.

Page created in 0.582 seconds with 38 queries.