Possible chicken with egg stuck?

• 6 Replies

p4ul4r

Possible chicken with egg stuck?
« on: July 11, 2011, 20:31 »
Hi All

I wonder if anyone good give me some advice to pass onto my sister. 

She thinks that one of her chickens (who are young and have only recently started laying) is possibly having trouble laying her egg.  She has been very quiet all afternoon and has not let anyone get near her, sitting down trying to sleep then getting up and straining.  They think they can see an egg in her.  Is there anything they can do to help her???

Any advice would be appreciated

THANK YOU

kegs

Re: Possible chicken with egg stuck?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 20:43 »
Pop her into a warm bath of water and put a small amount of vaseline on her vent (not her feathers).  I tried this when my chicken first started laying and was struggling and after 10 minutes in the bath as I let the water run out she laid the egg in the bath.  For me (I haven't heard others suggest this - and I am new at poultry keeping so it might be best to see what others say first) I put a small cloth over her eyes which seemed to calm her down and relax her.  Make sure you use a hairdryer on her feathers afterward to dry her off.  (When I did this with my chicken she fell over on her side - I thought she'd died but she was just enjoying the hairdryer.)

Good luck.

p4ul4r

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 20:54 »
Thanks Keg, muchly appreciated!  I have passed on your advice and she is already in the process with the water.  I will keep you informed. 

Any other advice from anybody is more than welcome too  :)

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 20:58 »
Yes the cloth over her head is a good idea, think parrot in cage with cloth over for the night. It calms and sooth's the bird. Also just make sure that the hair dryer is on a very gentle warm settling. You don't want to hurt her.
Hopefully after she has laid the egg give her some corn and some water then into her hen house or bed for the night. She will be tired out after all the effort.

Orchardlady.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 21:02 »
I would agree with Kegs and Orchardlady here, just remember to use the lowest setting on the hairdryer - not full heat.  If she is trying to lay a softie she will be feeling under the weather.  Did she lay in the bath?

The other thing you need to take care with is that if any yolk is left inside her she could get egg yolk peritonitis.  If she gets more quiet and seems to feel hot (feel under her wing then use the same hand and compare with one of your other hens) you will need to take her to the vet for antibiotics.  Egg yolk peritonitis can be serious and the prognosis is not good if you don't catch it quickly enough.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

p4ul4r

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 21:18 »
Thanks all  :)

kegs

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:28 »
How's your sister's chicken this morning P4ul4r?

xx
stuck egg

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 09:44
by jackb256
xx
Stuck egg?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 08:22
by New shoot
xx
Help! Egg stuck

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 10:51
by Foxy
question
Stuck in a Moult - or something more serious?

Started by Tiggywinkle72 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 21:02
by Tiggywinkle72

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 36 queries.