Spring onions

• 14 Replies

paul veg

Spring onions
« on: July 11, 2011, 19:54 »
Have i been growing spring onions in large tubs etc, I was just want to see what other folk grow theres in, My crop has been good, eaten the first picking and taste much better than supermarket veg....cheers for your input.

Christine

Re: Spring onions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 20:01 »
Spring onions go in whatever spare tubs are kicking around and always have done. But then I've got a muckle big, huge and ginormous concrete hard standing on the allotment which would cause harassment to the rest of the allotment and the local street to move. So half of it is covered in whatever tubs come to hand for carrots, parsnips, radish, dwarf beans ....

Gandan57

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 20:04 »
They are an ideal crop to grow in tubs but I only grow mine in the ground. Just finished the last of the autumn sown winter hardy white lisbon. Some of the bulbs on these were over an inch diameter.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 20:38 »
Can anyone please give me some pointers on how to grow Spring Onions.
For the third year in succession I have had an abysmal crop.

I bought two packets of White Lisbon both from Suttons and I have had only three plants come up. I sow directly into the ground and around early April in rows about one inch or so deep. I water in and this April because it was dry I gave them a couple of extra waters.

I have heard of sowing in trays and planting on when they germinate has anyone tried this?

Any thoughts or pointers will be gratefully received for next year.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 20:48 »
One inch sounds a bit too deep to me, I plant about 1 - 1.5 cm deep ( half inch).

I sow regulary in 3 inch diameter pots and tranplant the contents of the pot in one. The poster who I got this idea from uses a bulb cutter to make a hole in the ground. You get a good bunch of onions from every pot.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 21:50 »
yes, one inch is too deep; you should gauge the depth needed by the size of the seed; the poor things could have germinated but will have run out of stored energy in the seed before breaking the surface!

Tiny seeds like carrots, onions, brassica's etc only need to be a few mm under the surface, whereas beans, peas and other large seeds can be put a bit deeper.  Generally follow the sowing instructions on the packet for the correct depth.

You'll know when your spring onions have germinated as you'll have a line of what looks like bent grass, perhaps with a black seed casing still on the end.

Good luck :)

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 22:57 »
I'm growing in a container, I've got quite a few at different stages of development. Quite honestly they seem to have been growing for ever and still not ready to eat. My parsnips are racing ahead of my spring onions   :tongue2: (Lisbon White). I'd forgotten how long they take.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:05 »
One inch sounds a bit too deep to me, I plant about 1 - 1.5 cm deep ( half inch).

Thought the poster said they grew to 1inch, not planted at 1inch depth

I too plant in 31/2inch pots, roughly 12 in each and then plant out using a bulb planter.
4 pots a time and carry me well through most of the year

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:31 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:30 »
I bought two packets of White Lisbon both from Suttons and I have had only three plants come up. I sow directly into the ground and around early April in rows about one inch or so deep. I water in and this April because it was dry I gave them a couple of extra waters.

just to clarify

fatbelly

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 08:52 »
Yes I did sow at one inch depth  :mad:
Has anyone ever tried sowing in modules and then planting on?

louise81

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:43 »
hi, how deep does the pot need to be to grow spring onions?

Gandan57

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 18:29 »
Yes I did sow at one inch depth  :mad:
Has anyone ever tried sowing in modules and then planting on?

The ones that are ready to eat now were sown in plastic meat trays in early spring in less than two inches of compost. Maybe a month after germination I took them to the plot, cut off one of the long sides of the tray and slid the lot out into a shallow hollow in the ground. Gave them a good watering and left them to grow on. Pretty easy really. :)

Kiki

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 19:37 »
Following last years spring onion failure (the ones that finally did germinate were eaten by my cat!) I've sown in modules in a cold frame then transplanted into a 5" deep trough of rich compost spaced about an inch apart. These have grown well but slowly- I notice they have very long roots so I guess they want lots of food and water. I've had no luck at all sowing in open ground - I think it's been too dry these last 2 years (in the south) and they grow so slowly they get swamped by weeds.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 21:23 »

I sow regulary in 3 inch diameter pots and tranplant the contents of the pot in one. The poster who I got this idea from uses a bulb cutter to make a hole in the ground. You get a good bunch of onions from every pot.

What a great idea! Just a day after I sowed a load directly into the soil too...

Blast!

;0)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 22:25 »

Thought the poster said they grew to 1inch, not planted at 1inch depth
I appologise for this mistake.   Very stressful day and opened my 1st bottle of parsnip wine made 18months ago, think it was a bit more potent than i realised :blink:

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 22:46 by mumofstig »

xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
spring onions

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 17:59
by compostqueen
xx
spring onions

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 06:08
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.782 seconds with 38 queries.