Poo Picking Equipment

• 23 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Poo Picking Equipment
« on: July 11, 2011, 16:35 »
Sorry to bring it up, but after spending £40 on reseeding the lawn earlier this year, I'm trying to keep it in good nick.  That means clearing up the poo once a day from the lawn.  Not all of the poos are firm if you know what I mean  ::), and I'm currently using rubber gloves to pick and clear it out of the grass, but I don't like the smell of my hands after.  Does anyone have a really efficient way of clearing their chickens poo off the grass that I might copy?

Thanks
Debbie

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Re: Poo Picking Equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 16:40 »
We use a dustpan and paint scraper =) Then if the grass gets a bit yacky we brush it with the brush that came with the dustpan. It works quite well once you learn the technique!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

kegs

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 16:51 »
I use a metal coal shovel (Asda), along with a garden trowel and a small paint bucket.  I carry all three items round the garden with me ever hopeful that there won't be too many of the coffee sauce poos !!  ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 18:03 »
We use a plastic dustpan, an old trowel and an old plastic waste paper bin with water in it to put the dustpan and trowel in after use.  Then we use the water for plants which works as a fertiliser.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 21:44 »
We use a child's plastic beach spade & plastic rake - any bits we miss is dealt with by the dogs..... yukk!
ManicMum

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 22:19 »
We use a childs plastic spade too, and a good hard quick blast with the garden hose  ;)
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 00:22 »
we hose down  the really yucky yellow poops but the hard ones we just use a pooper scooper it's like a dust pan with a handel and a little rake that is all metal.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12 »
I use a long handled dustpan and yard broom ...saves an awful lot of bending down !!
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

Helenaj

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:39 »
I have this vision of chicken keepers all over the world wearing Marigolds and carrying buckets and spades, striding out into garden wilderness to fight the good fight against chicken poo - what a sight we must make to non-chicken folk!!  :D  :D

kegs

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18 »
I have this vision of chicken keepers all over the world wearing Marigolds and carrying buckets and spades, striding out into garden wilderness to fight the good fight against chicken poo - what a sight we must make to non-chicken folk!!  :D  :D

And as I'm constantly bobbing up and down - and virtually crawling under the quince tree - I feel a bit like a large chicken pecking around the ground.  I'm sure the chickens wonder what the heck I'm doing - and I know they just wait until I've scooped up the last pile of poo and then they suddenly rush round creating more.  :tongue2:

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 14:00 »
To be honest, I never used to bother picking it up because it didn't seem a problem.  Our two labs would just go out cotton picking poo picking.  Bad enough that they were eating it, but I'd not realised how much they were eating until we fenced off the grass from the patio, a sandwich box a day, :ohmy: barf!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:56 »
To be honest, I never used to bother picking it up because it didn't seem a problem.  Our two labs would just go out cotton picking poo picking.  Bad enough that they were eating it, but I'd not realised how much they were eating until we fenced off the grass from the patio, a sandwich box a day, :ohmy: barf!

Make sure your labs are regularly wormed as they can pick all sorts of nasties from hen and other bird poos.   :tongue2:

Dominic

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21 »
I just give it a quick blast with the hosepipe if its on the path or the garden furniture.
Otherwise, I'm just tolerating long grass.....
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 18:46 »

Make sure your labs are regularly wormed as they can pick all sorts of nasties from hen and other bird poos.   :tongue2:

I'm afraid to say, chicken poo is the least of my worries with my two!  But yes, everyone is regularly wormed.

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 19:50 »
Cat litter scoop and a wall paper scraper. works a treat.

xx
Equipment shops in Norfolk? Need an incubator

Started by Squiggly on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 23:15
by bettybluebelle
xx
picking up chicken poop?

Started by loopilizzi on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 23:27
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 36 queries.