no eggs :(

• 6 Replies

Selkie

« on: September 15, 2007, 21:31 »
we had to buy a box of eggs the other day as our two have stopped laying - doesn't feel right to be buying eggs when you have perfectly good hens at home :?

it all started when dora went broody and stopped laying; then just as she was getting back to normal she got lice and now both herself and daisy are in the middle of moulting (at least i hope it's the middle...there are feathers everywhere)

do hens stop laying totally in the winter? i'm just wondering WHEN we'll ever have eggs from them again :cry:

we always buy free-range eggs (when we have to buy eggs, that is) but there's just no comparison between their ones and our own --- the ones you buy are never as fresh.

i'd really welcome any moral support from anyone -- reassurance that our girls will get through this and get back to normal.

do we need to do anything special while they're moulting -- any special suppliments or anything?

we've only had them since march this year so i am still very much a newbie :oops:

thanks
rosemary

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 21:58 »
Its awful isn't it, we went on holiday and I had to buy eggs it was very odd.
Caroline

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 22:10 »
Hens can moult in different ways:
[list=1]
  • Rapid loss of feathers and replacement
  • Slow loss of feathers over a prolonged period
  • [/list:o]
    If the loss is rapid the hens usually go off lay, but with a slow loss the may just lay fewer eggs.

My hens have continued to lay throughout the winters but they have always had good light levels with their run facing East and South.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 22:14 »
Our ex batts wre the second one I think VERY slowwwwwwwww, but after 15 eggs yeterday, and only 4 today, I think they are slowly coming back out of their moult!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 22:55 »
I think it may also depends on the breed ?, I've found from personal experience that hybrids seem to moult slowly. A local farmer I spoke to seemed to think the same, as they are really only bred to live to about 72 weeks after that cat food etc it don'y matter how quick or slow they moult.

Anyone else found similar or opposite ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 23:02 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I think it may also depends on the breed ?, I've found from personal experience that hybrids seem to moult slowly.

Anyone else found similar or opposite ?

Yes Richy Hattie has been moulting slowly for about 2 months now and has been laying 3-4 eggs per week.  She's a hybrid - Bovans Nera.

Bodger

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 23:15 »

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 28 queries.