Am I doing this right?

• 7 Replies

hereshoping

Am I doing this right?
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:13 »
Following on from previous threads, I sowed and planted a few bits this weekend, not sure if anything will come of them but I read on here to buy some veg thats on sale at the local DIY places and so I planted the following from plants:

Tomato
Chilli (with 2 chills grown already) had no barcode on so the assistant let me have it for 35p :D
Parsnip
Carrot
Courgettes
Lettuce
Cabbage
Leeks
Beetroot
Brussel Sprouts
Cauliflower
Onions

and planted the following seeds

Runner Beans
Pumpkins
Spring Onions
B.Squash

Do you think any veg will actually come out of these?! Not expecting it this year but if I look after it all do you think these will all turn to veg next year possibly?

Obviously its a learning curve, with whats going to grow well in the places I have put them etc and bugs/weather!

Also, is there anything else you would recommend you putting in now? I saw some strawberries and blackcurrant plants etc, would these grow for next summer if I put them in now? Dont want to be wasting money !

Thanks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Am I doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:37 »
You may be a bit late for the pumpkins and squash, but if we get a decent autumn you could be lucky :)

Parsnips may be a bit bent, cos they don't really like being transplanted, so the peeling may be interesting  :D

So give it all a go, nothing will grow if you don't plant it, so any success will be a bonus, won't it? :)

Don't forget to net your brassicas (all the cabbage family) to stop the caterpillars eating them all.

Good luck!

edit for spooling  :nowink:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:56 by mumofstig »

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:45 »
I don't know much about doing things right, but I am jealous.  All those seeds sound heavenly - and a bit overwhelming!     :ohmy:  Have fun.  I'd think I hit the jackpot!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

hereshoping

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 14:03 »
Thanks for your replies!!
I will net them thank you for reminding me!
Does anyone have any ideas on where to get the wood from to make the net cage for the cabbages etc?
I could pop down there tomorrow to do it as have been down there already today to water it all :-)
The seeds look like they are going to take forever!!
Do you think the runner beans will do anything now? Feel very jealous walking towards my plot (right at the bottom) and seeing everyones wig wams of runners in full bloom! Although the plot owner opposite us gave us a massive handful of them yesterday! Bless her!
Thanks again!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 15:00 »
You can use canes with yogurt pots/plastic bottles/cans on top (to stop the canes tearing the netting) for now, and maybe sort out something stronger for next year if you like :)

hereshoping

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 18:57 »
Thats a good idea, thanks Lesley  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 19:23 »
and dismantled pallets give plenty of wood for more solid constructions  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 20:12 »
Very pleased you've got the veg bug.

Wood for cages comes from anywhere. Think 'wood' and suddenly you will see useful bits everywhere especially in the city dump. You will find wood in timber merchants and DIY shops of course but get it recycled for free.

Chilli plants with flowers on should fruit if you keep them warmish, wet and repot if the shop soil is dodo. I use cheap grow bag soil which keeps them going.

I reckon runner beans will be fine and as for the rest I shall leave others to advise.

The best way of learning is to give it a go and pretty soon you'll be like the rest of us. Moaning about the weather and scratching your head but happy and covered in dirt.

Page created in 0.69 seconds with 38 queries.