New Serama and silkie chicks - first timer needs advice

• 10 Replies

stokiechicks

I've jumped into the deep end and am picking up my first chickens tomorrow. Four 3 day old Bantam Serama chicks :) For the first two weeks I'll keep in the living room which will give me enough time to get a coop & run built in the garden (I live in inner city London with a small garden).

Could someone suggest where I can buy decent chicken wire online please that tough enough to be fox proof? Also, would should I build a coop with a plywood floor or have it resting on the (grassy) ground  with chicken wire dug in to prevent foxes digging in. How fast does chicken poo decompose into compost in the ground?

Do I need to buy bedding and what do you suggest. I'm doing this on a budget. Finally, can someone suggest a decent organic food supplier for chick crumb

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: New Serama and silkie chicks - first timer needs advice
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 00:20 »
you'll need a brooder for them. A brooder is a place that will keep the chicks contained, warm, and dry. Typically, it involves some kind of walls, a bottom surface that can be covered with shavings, a brooder lamp, and possibly a top to keep them from flying out. It also needs to house their food and water.

If you can find a brooder that is about 12 inches deep, you won't have to worry about putting a lid on it, as the chicks won't be able to fly out. If the brooder is shallower than that, consider using a top on it so they can't escape.

If you have curious dogs or kids, or if you're using a brooder shallower than about 12 inches, a top can be very helpful. The chicks need ventilation, so it should be breathable.

Brooder Lamp

You'll need a brooder lamp to keep the chicks at the right temperature. Purchase a 250-watt infrared heat lamp, preferably a red bulb instead of a white. You can find these at feed and hardware stores. You'll also need to purchase a reflector and a clamp for mounting the bulb. Don't go DIY here; you're asking for a fire hazard. Make sure you get the wire guard that goes underneath the bulb, too. When hanging this over shavings, the guard makes sure that if the lamp falls, it's less likely to start a fire.

The height of the lamp is what will determine the temperature at the level of the chicks. You'll need to experiment to find out what height works best for you. It's a really, really good idea to figure this out before the chicks arrive. And, having a way to easily adjust the height of the lamp (a piece of chain and an S hook work well) is handy, because each week you will reduce the temperature by 5 degrees F.
Thermometer

To check that temperature, you'll need a thermometer of some kind. I've always used one with a wire and sensor so that I can read the temperature easily from the edge of the brooder, while the sensor sits right under the lamp. The chicks will peck at the wire, but they've never done any damage, and I usually tuck it under some of the shavings.
Bedding

I like to use pine shavings in my brooder, after a few days on paper towels so they chicks don't eat the shavings. Never use cedar shavings as they are toxic to poultry. Never use newspaper as the chicks can develop spraddle legs from the slipperiness of the newspaper.

One to two inches of bedding in the bottom of the brooder is sufficient for comfy and happy chicks. You should change it when it gets overwhelmed with droppings or is stinky.

they will have to say in this until they are fully feathered around the 5 week mark, before they can go outside chicks area lot harder to look after than say Point of lay Hens.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 00:32 »
oh  i also forgot to say weldmesh is better to use than chicken wire.. as a fox can still chew though chicken wire.

for your coops it's better tp have it off the ground. Look on here for a few post from a guy named Hillfooter he has very good info on chicken coop designs.

stokiechicks

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:58 »
Thanks for the really helpful advice :)

I'm now thinking I wait till the Serama's are at week four. Appears easier to look after? Would I need to be around most of the time?

Regrads heat; they're going to be indoors in the living room. I've got a ceramic heat lamp and a good quality plastic seed propagator tray where the heating element contained within is contained within thick but light density plastic moulding. Its waterproof and emits a very gentle warmth over a 12" by 6" area.

I have digital thermo I'll preset with a temp above which it switches everything off.

HOusing will be in a large long strong cardboard box with bedding ( Aubiose, Hempcore, used potting compost?,  ) . The ceramic lamp and seed propagator will have their own areas, in between will be cool areas.

Do they need nesting areas or boxes?  Any food brand/supplier recommendations please?

Thanks

:)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 16:33 by stokiechicks »

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:14 »
Hi and welcome to the mad world of hen keeping.  The important thing about a coop is that it is as easy as possible to keep clean.  Try not to build it with any places for red mite to hide!  I would put something like hemcore on the floor as it is easy to clean out and cheap to buy.  Hens need roosting bars and somewhere to lay their eggs.  The coop needs to be draught free as they suffer badly in draughts.  To keep foxes out you need strong wire and need to dig down under ground and secure the wire otherwise the fox will dig under.  You will need chick crumb for your girls until they are point of lay.  I buy mine locally as if you add delivery charges it is cheaper than the internet (BATA here are competitive)

You will need to keep your chicks under a heat lamp until six weeks old (even in a lounge as it will become cold at night) and chicks grown fast so think about where you will keep them until they are old enough to go outside

Good Luck!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09 »
I see you live in a built up area - what will you do if any are boys? You probably wouldn't know until they are over 10 weeks old.

For organic chick crumb then try looking at the organic feed companies website to see if they have a local supplier. It would also be an idea to have a bottle of coxoid or baycox on hand just incase they pick up coccidiosis when you put them outside as your feed is not treated with an anti cocci supplement. Even those that are are not guaranteed to stop chicks from getting it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:00 »
Wow, nothing quite like jumping in at the deep end ;)

Serama are one of the smallest breeds of chicken in the world, and consequently they have their own problems which may not occur with larger breeds.

Do you know which grade of serama you're getting (they come in A, B and C, and any reputable breeder will be able to tell you which grade they are/or will be)  Grade A are the smallest, with fully grown adults being about the same size as a regular coke can.  Grade C are larger, up to 550g I think (Serama aren't my breed, so I'm not too sure).

As with many species in which size is a factor (either dwarf or giant - chickens, dogs horses) there are plenty of unscrupulous breeders out there, breeding for size alone and not for conformation or health.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now, lol!

Right, with baby serama, you need to know they are TINY!  Consequently they need more care and attention than other chicks.  They are also very fragile, consequently they need more protection from extremes in heat and cold, draughts etc.

Even if you're getting 4 week old chicks, they will need to be kept in a suitable brooder with a heat source (area under the lamp to be about 25-28*C for 4 week old chicks), chick crumbs and a source of water (a quail drinker would be ideal).  They will also need suitable bedding, and as they are so small, you may need to look for something which is finer (but not dusty) than shavings used for horses.

I believe Serama tend to be early crowers, so you can expect crowing from approximately 10 weeks old.  Now just because serama are small doesn't mean that they are quiet!  I had a sabelpoot cockerel (another true bantam, about the size of a large pigeon), and you could hear him half a mile away!  Also, because they are small, the crow tends to be high and piercing.

As they grow to adult hood and looking towards winter, they don't do so well in the cold, and I know many breeders actually keep them in heated greenhouses over winter.

You will also have to be more vigilant about visiting cats, and birds of prey from over head, because the size of the serama will make them quite easy to take by predators.

Now, I'm not trying to put you off completely!  I love my 'poots, but they do have to be managed in a different way than my LF birds.  I hope I don't come across as "ooh you mustn't do this" because it is not how I intend it, I just want to clue you up as to some of the issues you might face with choosing such a small breed for your first one :D

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, then post away :D

evie2

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:28 »
I realise you only have a small town garden so need a small hen but as a first time keeper, I was wondering why you chose Serama.  We also have poots and Dutch Bantams, they're fantastic :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

stokiechicks

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 12:43 »
OOhh really useful replies. Thanks :)

Yes I live in a very built up area of inner city London and I certainly would not be able to keep cocks. I had read that Bantam cocks were quiet? Or does that just apply to silkies?

I'm rushing into this because its been quite hard to find serama and silkie birds at the right age in or near London. And 3 day old chicks at £5 eachhave just come available relatively close. My rationale was that if I purchased 3-5 chicks and then rehomed the cocks (for free) when they showed themselves? Its been hard to find Seramas in particular, and from hobby breeders.

Besides, the deep end is good. I'm aiming to hatch me own eggs so this is good learning.

I've chosen miniature chickens because they're ideal for learning about chickens for city folk, easy to handle and beautiful.  They would be the ideal step up to larger chickens kept for eggs/meat.

I'm designing a garden where I'm intensively growing heirloom vegetables and packing as much as I can into a 25 by 25 feet space. This includes a pleasure/scented garden, wormery, compost bin, seating and chickens! It's a little self-educational project of mine and to also try and showcase/promote simple urban living off tiny pockets of land.

If the chickens work out id love to get one or two Marans and Brahmas :)

stokiechicks

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53 »
Wow, nothing quite like jumping in at the deep end ;)

Do you know which grade of serama you're getting (they come in A, B and C, and any reputable breeder will be able to tell you which grade they are/or will be)  Grade A are the smallest, with fully grown adults being about the same size as a regular coke can.  Grade C are larger, up to 550g I think (Serama aren't my breed, so I'm not too sure).

Thanks for explaining Grade A/B/C - I couoldnt figure out what that meant :mellow:. I've just sent him an email and he said Grade B, I've also asked if he would be prepared to hang onto the chicks till they're sexed.

At what age can they go outside?

As they grow to adult hood and looking towards winter, they don't do so well in the cold, and I know many breeders actually keep them in heated greenhouses over winter.

Thanks for that tip. Any links to good coop building designs? I've read up the roosting vars and nesting boxes but would love some more design tips. I'm also building a small polycarbonate greenhouse which they can use in winter.

You will also have to be more vigilant about visiting cats, and birds of prey from over head, because the size of the serama will make them quite easy to take by predators.

This will be a major problem as I have a cat of my own and several in the area who spend time in my garden. I've just accepted that the Seramas will only be allowed to free range when myself or someone is around otherwise they'll have a good sized run to forage in. I'm going to try and train my cat to stay away from the chickens.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:55 by stokiechicks »

daisy1990

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 14:47 »
or thing of using an electric mesh fence to keep predators out and the chicks in.  you can get them to work off batteries if no supply handy

xx
First timer with chicks

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 23:25
by Poolfield2
xx
5 SILKIE CHICKS

Started by CLARE SWANN on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 11:02
by CLARE SWANN
xx
Silkie Laying Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 20:01
by joyfull
xx
best integration method/ Silkie advice

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 08:29
by frenchliving

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 38 queries.