Beloved pumpkins...

• 7 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Beloved pumpkins...
« on: September 15, 2007, 20:26 »
Right peeps, I've searched the archives to no avail.

We had to cut off  2 of our 3 biggest pumpkins this afternoon due to thieving b******s helping themselves to my stuff. They've gone and stole another 2 that were up and coming, almost the sizes of footballs  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Anyway, I've brought them back to the flat as my shed isn't that secure and I value them too much to risk them going missing. I'd LOVE to keep them till halloween for carving, and was wondering how to do this without ruining them. They are a yellow to orange variety (sorry, no name as they're from Gilbert who doesn't know either, just remembers they taste great and has saved seeds for years and years), the biggest is easily 25kg  :shock:  and the smaller one at least 10kgs. I was planning to clear a table by the windowsill and make that their home, but is this okay? There will be air and sunshine on them there.

Oh, the skins are fairly tough, but not as tough as I know pumpkins are usually. Will drying them this way suffice? They're beautiful babies, even though they're dented on the bits they were sitting on. I'll post a piccie once they're settled in their new position!

Oh, I'm so very proud of them!!!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

shaun

Beloved pumpkins...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 20:49 »
jeese some folks take the biscuit :evil: you would love to catch em at it and chop there sticky hands off with a spade 8)
to store jacnal them i keep mine in the shed in the light,they will ripen in a week or so after picking,not sure about room temperature in your flat though but the shed can get quite warm in the sunshine :?
ive picked most of mine Ive got 9 in the shed and another 4 or 5 down the plot on the plant.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

jacnal

Beloved pumpkins...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 21:20 »
I was tempted to install a spy cam Shaun, but don't have one  :( . When the first 2 went missing, I wasn't that bothered, took it as a compliment, but another 2? - grrrrr! They're so easy to grow (or have I got beginners' luck?), you wouldn't think they'd be stolen!

We would have had 11 or 12, but we also lost 4 to slug damage  :cry:

The flat can be fairly warm, but with the window open it's just comfortable. Do they need more warmth? They're taking pride of place on that table - can't wait to show my visiting friends, lol! They're like my babies, lol, I hope they keep well - fingers crossed.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Beloved pumpkins...
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 21:43 »
With over 4 weeks to go to Halloween, that the last thing they want is warmth. (IMHO!).  The flat may seem 'comfortable' to you but that may not be the pumpkin's point of view.

They have the time to ripen naturally in a cooler place if you can find one, and given a bit of cool should last until said time.

Last year, as I hadn't grown any, our local church wanted one for the harvest festival. I borrowed one off a fellow plot holder,and when I got it back a couple of weeks later having been indoors, albeit in what one would think was a cool place, the bottom was rotten, and it was leaking all it's juices!

I know you want to show it off, but I think later is the time.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jacnal

Beloved pumpkins...
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:17 »
Oh DD, I should have left them at my in-laws cold bunker then! I was under the impression they needed the sun to harden the skin? We'll have to take them back then  :( . After showing them off this afternoon though  :wink:

Thanks!

muntjac

Beloved pumpkins...
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 12:31 »
cold space the better than warm n sunny
still alive /............

Babycat

• Experienced Member
confoosed
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 21:02 »
I am confoosed  :?   I have left mine out on the patio to ripen off for the past week with the intent to carve them and freeze the meat next week.  

Do they get harmed in the sun?

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: confoosed
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 21:26 »
Quote from: "Babycat"
I am confoosed  :?   I have left mine out on the patio to ripen off for the past week with the intent to carve them and freeze the meat next week.  

Do they get harmed in the sun?

x Gina

No, they ripen quickly.

jacnal wanted to keep them for Halloween, the sun would ripen them too quickly for her purposes. For your purposes - no problems.

xx
JAM PUMPKINS

Started by compostqueen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 10:52
by compostqueen
xx
Storing pumpkins

Started by Michael D on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 09:57
by NN2Blue
xx
Can anything be done with unripe pumpkins?

Started by Oscar Too on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 13:04
by Oscar Too
question
what to do with bland pumpkins

Started by newby on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 19:46
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 36 queries.