meal worms

• 3 Replies

jony worrall

meal worms
« on: July 10, 2011, 17:39 »
hi there just a quick one finaly got my girls maizy[high line brown],flora[speckeldy],and belle[bluebelle] they have some characters the little ones love them loads,but just a quick one is it ok to feed them as a treat dried meal worms,  :blush: :D
jony worrall

neenyneen

Re: meal worms
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 18:05 »
yep, mine go mad for them! in moderation though, i give mine a handful a night  :D
love my chickens me! :-)

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 18:19 »
Yes but I'd not do this too often once or twice a week and three or four each if you can discipline yourself to do it.  

Personally I'd prefer a handful of poultry corn (with maize) given in an EVENING.  

Chickens are foraging browser feeders who generally eat low energy dense food so usually need to eat significant bulk and take more time acquiring it to get their energy intake.  It's important that they are kept active foraging and they get this bulk which they need to regulate their food intake.  Feeding high protein like mealworms in any quantity means they become inactive and develop boredom habits or overfeed and get fatty livers.  Just like over feeding children on hamburgers and sweet drinks is bad for them so over feeding treets is bad for chx.  They will certainly like them and here in lies the problem because you will get an attention response (cupboard love) from them you and particularly the kids will be motivated to feed them more and it will be difficult to regulate.  Corn on the other hand is low energy dense so there's less danger of overfeeding and the chx will enjoy it just as much and you can safely give them corn more often.

HF
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:25 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xhappychickx

• 1 rhode island, 1 maran, 1 baby leghorn
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 21:56 »
I have been our 3 chickens meal worms as treats it's fine and if u soak them in water the birds love them ! I give our chickens left over cooked spaghetti

xx
Meal worms

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 10:54
by Vember
xx
Meal Worms

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 13:31
by joyfull
xx
meal worms

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 13:21
by Celtic Eagle
xx
3 day old chicks eating meal worms???

Started by Pixieswift on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 20:56
by evie2

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 28 queries.