?????? little chicks????

• 2 Replies

dawnie77

?????? little chicks????
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:15 »
im just wondering and thinking ahead at the momemt but ......
my chickens are in an 8ft square shed, i have a chest high wide shelf in there where im keeping a few shed items, if  i had day old chicks under heat up on this shelf and it was protected all around so the 14 week old hens couldnt get to them would this be ok?????
as it is now they dont jump up there cause there is no surface area for them to get onto, i was thinking of making a removeable gate/screening so i could still get to them as when needed.

Helenaj

Re: ?????? little chicks????
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:26 »
Does the shed heat up much during really warm weather as you could have major problems not just for the chicks but for your hens as well, as the heat lamp will only add to the ambient temperature of the shed. My wooden coop, which is 8'x16' and 7' high registered a midday temperature of over 38C in the last really hot spell we had and that was with the vents and pop hole open. I opened the door in the end and covered it with mesh just to get some air through. If you add that type of temperature to that of your heat lamp, your chicks will dehydrate very quickly. I usually keep the chicks in a shady part of my kitchen or bathroom so I can better moderate the temperature.

Stick a thermometer in your coop and check the temperature several times a day over the next few days - especially if the weather is hot - and get an average temperature reading for various times of the day.

dawnie77

Re: ?????? little chicks????
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:48 »
my shed is actually a log cabin lol its 20 ft long 8 ft wide and is partitioned at 12ft where my husband works the other entrance was our day to day shed but we like to give our girls the best so i moved out stuff and made room lol it has a full door and a proper window that is open all day in the nice weather, so air gets circlutaed well, when the weather is either rain or a bit nippy i wedge the door ajar so they have enough room to come and go.they are only shut up at about 9-10 at night when they start to settle.
dont know how having them in the house would work, my dog like them when there only little whicj would mean having them upstairs! dont know if my huby wod go with that one but hay never say never, think a bottle of wine and a good plan might do it lol

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 28 queries.