Slug Barriers

• 81 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Slug Barriers
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 11:18 »

I also watched a slug cross copper wire. I am sorry but it's a fallacy that copper deters slugs and snails.

Have I got super slugs ? It's baffled me as well as frustrated. :mad:

You really need a wide enough bit of copper to deter them, about 100 mm (4 inches) wide is good. I don't think you have super slugs, I just think your wire is too thin.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

hubballi

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25 »
And what about the salt and Vaseline ?  :blush:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 11:30 »
And what about the salt and Vaseline ?  :blush:

Personally, I don't see anything slippery being a good barrier. I'm sorry I missed your mention of salt. A direct application of salt certainly does do the trick. ;) If you're laying it down as a barrier though, its probably dissolving and dispersing with the moisture around.

:)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 11:51 »
If the wire was off a motor winding, chances are it was lacquered for insulation purposes. Unless you scraped all this off, it would have no chance of working.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

hubballi

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 12:03 »
Ok, I take your point about the copper. Better selling it for scrap ;-)

Bran will be the next choice then if I can find a store that sells it. I tried a supermarket but it didn't stock it in it's pure form.

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 12:06 »
I use SlugStoppa - not had any problems for ages with slugs.

I've seen coffee grounds recommended too, but not tried them.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 12:46 »
I have a small pond for the frogs but they seem to have become dear friends with the slugs, earlier I lifted the carpet covering the manure and the frogs and slugs were underneath it together all chummy like. Either that or the frogs were farming the slugs for food.
Paul

hubballi

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 10:33 »
And another thing. Boiled garlic in water, used in spray on foliage (as recommended by hosta grower on Gardener's World) it didn't work. Slugs all over everything that was sprayed.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 12:57 »
last year when I planted up some new pots I used copper tape around each of the drainage holes as well as the neck of the pot inside and out just in case!!.  I also smeared vasaline (Cheapy tub from pound shop)on the base of the pot and around the pot a few inches below the the copper tape.  I am convinced slugs are working to gether to beat our attempts to beat them and am starting to think that they may secretly do acrobatics!! However with these precautions plus a regular sprinkling of oats it definatley worked.

I also made beer traps using large plastic bottles, by cutting a section to place at soil level with alternative "ramps" sniped in and folded in towards the beer.  Then I placed the rest of the bottle over the top using the sniped bits that were not folded to hold the lid in place!! I collected lots of slugs this way!!! so only had a few bits of damage when used these. 

This year I have however discovered them congregating around my cats food bowl every evening!!!! 

Boy do I detest slugs!!!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 12:58 »
Just confiscate their stilts, that'l stop 'em. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

hubballi

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 14:08 »
Yes, they are always in the cat food dish. They are incredibly infuriating. Whenever you try and do something in life there are always things that come along and mess it up.

Slugs
Snails
leaf minor
Onion fly
Cabbage fly
White fly
Aphids
Flea Beetle
Cabbage white Caterpillar

I have had ALL these pests this season. I hate the back end of summer. Much prefer spring/early summer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 14:47 »
Yes, they are always in the cat food dish. They are incredibly infuriating. Whenever you try and do something in life there are always things that come along and mess it up.

Slugs
Snails
leaf minor
Onion fly
Cabbage fly
White fly
Aphids
Flea Beetle
Cabbage white Caterpillar

I have had ALL these pests this season. I hate the back end of summer. Much prefer spring/early summer.

I've had all of those this year except onion fly...........I had onion white rot instead!
a normal year then  :nowink:

Angelathers

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 21:35 »
I always put egg shells and old bramble cut offs around veg and plants not always foolproof(maybe should have written slugproof) but has worked really well for me.

viettaclark

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 21:49 »
I hesitate to suggest this in case you have "views" but it seems to me that you might be better doing a slug hunt, by torch-light after about 11. If you just pop out every night you'll be amazed at what you find.
I go equipped with scissors to snip the slugs in two and you can stamp on snails. If you leave them there, the next night they'll be more feasting off the bodies. :ohmy: They also seem to follow the same slimy tracks.
Best to do it after rain as when it's dry slugs hide away.
I thought I'd got most of mine until it rained and I surprised an orgy going on with dozens of big fat brown slugs copulating everywhere.
Soon put a stop to their disgusting behaviour! :nowink: ::) Also means less babies!!

hubballi

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 08:50 »
I sprayed the leaves of pants with garlic boiled in water which is very pungent. It doesn't work. A guy on Gardener's world swore by it.

xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Carrot fly? Do 2 ft barriers really work?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 14:17
by Sadgit
xx
Slug gone

Started by SocksOn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 23:31
by Kirpi
xx
I'd like to blame a slug.. but

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 00:42
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 38 queries.