Must have been very dry?

• 3 Replies

Lardman

Must have been very dry?
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:49 »
I dug over the broad bean bed yesterday, despite being full buried the paper pots I've used for the poached egg plants were perfectly intact - so much so you could still read the the print.  :ohmy:

I really would have thought that after the best part of 3 months they would have decomposed, Im pretty sure they have in previous years.  Should I put this down to dry soil or does it indicate that the soil is completely void of life ? which is obviously far more concerning.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Must have been very dry?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:58 »
What sort of newspaper did you wrap them in?  I'm pretty sure that if it was a copy of News of the World that they will have gone by Monday.....

:lol:  Sorry I couldn't resist and apologies to any of our gardeners that are affected by this  :wub:

Seriously though, other googled resourses say that in a warm moist environment it would only take 2 or 3 weeks but the drier it is the longer it would take.  How thick did you make them?  that will also affect the time to break down in the soil and how rich is your soil?  the richer the better as the worms would take the paper down like leaves but if you don't have many worms....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07 »
I usually find that some paprts of the paper pots survive all summer in my sandy soil, but they still rot quicker and are a lot more yielding to the roots than toilet roll tubes and much better than "peat" pots which seem to be almost bomb-proof in my soil!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:31 »
I always find that the roots are coming through and the paper breaking down by the time I plant things ::) :nowink:

I always make a hole, water the hole and then plant.............and assume this leaves enough moisture to finish the job!

I'd just assume it was just very dry, Lardman!

Page created in 1.147 seconds with 38 queries.