onions

• 22 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: onions
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 16:00 »
Where they planted in the autumn? If so majority i have seen have been very poor this year

Spring planted ones are fattening up nicely now though

Im never going to bother with over winter ones again last year they all bolted this year spring planted are whoppers.  :lol:

Id agree with that. The difference between when they crop is fairly minimal anyway and as you say they seem much more prone to bolting. Ive grown overwintering the last 3 years i think and each year seems to have got worse - ill just grow more spring planted and i might have a go at growing from seed next year too

xhappychickx

• 1 rhode island, 1 maran, 1 baby leghorn
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 19:40 »
I am growing Spring onions and the bulbs are just showing on top of compost but still not thick in stem, does anyone know when they are ready to pick?

gobs

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 19:45 »
What is the point in planting the overwintering ones?

When i last grew them on my old plot we had stored ones right up until the new ones were ready for comming out.

That you have onions once the winter store finished, till the next summer crop comes along?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 20:17 »
I am growing Spring onions and the bulbs are just showing on top of compost but still not thick in stem, does anyone know when they are ready to pick?

When they are the size you want to eat them, and how quickly they grow depends on the weather

gobs

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 20:25 »

Pencil thickness will do for me.

xhappychickx

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 21:44 »
I started to grow them in the spring. I didn't know there was a difference. I grew them first on window sill and then placed in a grow house and then put them outside since june. I will post a pic of what they look like as I am a bit of a virgin veg grower lol !

xhappychickx

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 14:24 »
Here is a pic of spring onions....
Garden Pics 011.JPG
Garden Pics 012.JPG

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 21:23 »
Think it must have been wind and heavy downpours that bent all mine over as they seem to be standing up again, slowly but surely. This is the first year I have attempted to grow anything other than tomatoes, peppers and salad stuff so am super excited to see my crops do well. Fingers crossed

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 30 queries.