catching the egg laying???

• 8 Replies

timtheenchanteruk

catching the egg laying???
« on: July 06, 2011, 18:00 »
I have 3 hens, and until last week was getting 3 eggs a day, one from each...

however I now only get 2 a day, I know one is definatly laying each day, I can almost set my watch by her (about 8:00 every morning) however the other egg arrives later on, so dont know if its every other day by both the other hens, or one thats laying/one stopped etc etc...

Both other hens seem fine, eating well, still active and alert, a physical check shows no sign of a bound egg (much relieved) 

am I being paranoid, or should I be worried??

bantam novice

Re: catching the egg laying???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 18:28 »
Could one be going broody or moulting?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 22:16 »
lots of hens dont lay every day and when ours is broody she stops for weeks on end!  If they look healthy and are eating and drinking well dont worry
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 22:35 »
I suggest you should give them all a physical check - are their combs and wattles all bright and plump?  When you feel their chests are their 'keel bones' all covered in a nice layer of fat (but not too fat)? Are they all looking well, eating and drinking, and behaving as usual?

If all those things are ok I wouldn't worry at all.  One of your girls may be taking a break, or they may be alternating, or is it possible one of them is hiding her eggs somewhere else?  Whatever the cause, if they look and feel healthy it should be fine. :)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 22:36 »
Perfectly normal to miss a day or a few days or a few weeks if they turn broody.

If you let them free range check under low bushes where eggs can be concealed. :D

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 15:34 »
cheers, Im going to have a good look under bushes, they do free roam the garden for alot of the day, they are all fine and in good health, so no worries there.

I'll just keep an eye on them.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 18:26 »
In theory 12 of my birds are in lay, I get anything between 2 and 10 eggs per day, but usually only 5 - 6. I suspect I have some freeloaders in the flock!! any little thing seems to put them off, prima donnas the lot of them.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 14:28 »
well I think i have my answer, one of my girls has gone a bit broody, spent most of the morning on the nest box, all fluffed up, not moving off as she usually does when I opened the box.
Moved her off a couple of times, and shes come outside this afternoon, so should be ok.

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 22:06 »
That could well explain the reduced laying .  Are you going to let her sit on fertile eggs?  She will put the others off laying if she gets too feisty and you will have to decide whether or not to take anti-broody measures.  If you decide to let her sit on fertile eggs you will have to decide what you are going to do with the cockerels.  Good luck and keep us posted  :D

xx
It's catching!

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 11:03
by Wildeone
xx
Catching my hens

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 19:24
by margot
question
catching chickens

Started by peter o on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 23:44
by wildwitchy
xx
help with catching an injured duck

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 14:07
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 36 queries.