Truss numbers...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Truss numbers...
« on: July 06, 2011, 16:12 »
Most years, I've noticed that the tomato stem on about a quarter of the plants, divides into a perfect 'V' after the third truss, and continues growing exactly the same proportions on each arm of the 'V'.

Normally, it's a side shoot issue, and I've taken one of them off, but as they seem to be nice and thick at the top near the 'V', I've decided to keep them like that and stop them at four trusses for the outside potted ones. Just two in the greenhouse have done that too, and as an experiment, I'll let them do the same.

They're 'Alicante', and it's ages since I grew them, so perhaps it's a trait, but the toms never seem to worry, except that I never reach the magical six trusses and get a Gold Medal and a prize at the 'Annual Growster's Ball'...

Anyone else get theirs doing this?

Trillium

Re: Truss numbers...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 20:13 »
I notice something similar on my Roma type tomatoes. It's all I can do to keep up with pinching out the new sprouts at the V points. By the time I realize I missed another truss, it's already put out flowers which I'm loath to take out as sometimes I don't get quite the crop I hoped for if the weather doesn't cooperate. The plants seem happy so who am I to argue  8)

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 23:24 »
My Roma are weird! They've come to a stop with no obvious growing tip and have curled round on themselves.
I wonder if I've pinched out too thoroughly!!!
Luckily they are shooting below so I'll tie that stalk in....

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:48 »
We did well on 'Roma' one year Trillium nd Vietta. I cannot recall if they 'veed', but the crop was huge!

I agree with you about possible weather change too; if the flowers are there, they're still flowers, wherever they occur on the stem!

Perhaps this breed have a little bit of 'bush' in them (not the George Bush), and they like to wander a bit later on in life...

Sounds like a pot boiler this does...;0)

stompy

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:07 »
I have 4 Roma plants and i've left them to their ow devices.

I thought they were a bush variety so i havn't pinched any of the side shoots out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:17 »
When I was looking up all the varieties for the "Home-Grown Tomato survey" earlier this year I must have found at least one description of Roma as "semi-bush" (but don't ask me where I found it!)  :unsure:

Also, don't ask me what the official meaning of "semi-bush" is, although it seems some of you have found out for yourselves!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:21 »
What that means is I have a nice clean looking Roma cordon running up, woth nicely spaced trusses forming and a few flowers at the top.......

........ and there behind it is a bush tomato grown from a ground level shoot I never saw, which is also full of small fruit and flowering  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Two for the price of one  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50 »
as I've said before - quite a few of my tomato plants end up trained as double cordons (a cane for each shoot) cos I've missed a shoot low down on the plant  :nowink:

BOGOF value  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 21:01 »
That's how I look at it, MoS. They needn't be huge toms, which is the reason for limiting to one cordon. I'm happy to take the great quantity of slightly smaller toms any day.

stompy

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:41 »
That's how I look at it, MoS. They needn't be huge toms, which is the reason for limiting to one cordon. I'm happy to take the great quantity of slightly smaller toms any day.

I agree totally, i grow for flavour and texture (not rubber bullet skins).

I only water every 3 days, i feel this gives me smaller toms but less water content and greater flavour.

I usually get 5 or 6 trusses and this gives us as a family of 4 far far far (you get the idea) more than we can eat fresh in the summer and plenty for me to cook down into pulp and sauces for the winter.

I grow Gardeners Delight and am trying Sungold for the first time for eating in summer salads (etc) and Alicante for sauces and Roma for sun/oven drying.

Im not sur how many trusses are on the Roma though as they are soooo bushy.

as I've said before - quite a few of my tomato plants end up trained as double cordons (a cane for each shoot) cos I've missed a shoot low down on the plant 

I might try the double cordon mthed too as my Alicante are doing the sane V'ing thing at the moment.

xx
Numbers of seeds in packets

Started by dawninspain on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 07:54
by legendaryone
xx
Truss

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 17:49
by ytyynycefn
xx
Tomato Truss Set???

Started by cabbagehead on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 11:53
by cabbagehead
xx
Does anyone have photos of what a tomato truss looks like?

Started by rawrecruit on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 09:18
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 1.664 seconds with 38 queries.