Another poo question I'm afraid!

• 10 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« on: September 14, 2007, 20:28 »
Hello and pleased to meet you all.  I've recently joined this site having bought 6 chickens 5 weeks ago and have already learnt lots and lots from reading all your postings! Thanks you all for sharing your advice and thoughts.

My 5 girls (2 x Sussex Lights, 1x Sussex Silver, 2x Bovan Neras and one brown one - I think she's a Rhode Star (that's what it says on the invoice!)are now 21 weeks and are laying 5 eggs a day.  All have settled in and are very friendly.

However - I've noticed the Sussex Silver seems to have strange poo.  she does a normal one - steps forward a few paces and then squirts out a quanity of light brown fluid.  She's feeding well, eyes bright, nice sheen to the feathers and is laying eggs and doesn't look ill in anyway.  I've not overfed them on greens and not changed their food - any ideas???

All this talk about poo..... I thought I'd passed that stage now my children are teenagers!

Also - My  Rhode Star doesn't seem to be laying yet - is this normal or itmay be because my partner has named her ERIC and she's a bit confused about her gender!!  lol

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 20:40 »
You Sussex Silver's poo does not sound quite normal  :wink: Try giving her some bio yoghurt every day for a while and see if it improves,  I'll come back to you if I think of anything else.

Welcome to the site by the way  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 20:59 »
Hiya welcome to the site  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 21:11 »
Hi Kym, and welcome from an old Kentish Maid.  Whereabouts are you in North Kent?  I'm originally from near Dartford.  Not the posh part of Kent like Aunt Sally!!!!!! lol

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 21:12 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hi Kym, and welcome from an old Kentish Maid.  Whereabouts are you in North Kent?  I'm originally from near Dartford.  Not the posh part of Kent like Aunt Sally!!!!!! lol

:shock: You can't have ever been to Maidstone grannie  :wink:

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 21:22 »
Hello  I'm between Swanley and Dartford.

Bio yoghurt ... do I just place a bowl of it in the run?  Will they all want to eat it or will I have to encourage her in anyway.  Also - is it just the sort you'd buy in the supermarket?

I've had another thought -  they found a frog and killed it yesterday and then ate it between them.  As Pie is the 'chief chicken' I expect she ate most of it - would this have upset her stomach?  (When they ate a dead mouse they found last week it didn't upset anyone!!!!)

Kym

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 21:38 »
Quote from: "Kym503"
Bio yoghurt ... do I just place a bowl of it in the run?  Will they all want to eat it or will I have to encourage her in anyway.  Also - is it just the sort you'd buy in the supermarket?

Yes just plain bio yoghurt, you can mi it with some porridge oats if you like.  That's good for the bowels.

Quote from: "Kym503"
I've had another thought -  they found a frog and killed it yesterday and then ate it between them.  

That will do no harm at all - very tasty snack  :wink:

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 22:52 »
but it will make em squit .. just agive them the yoghurt n have a poop scoop to clean it up  :wink: not the yoghurt lol :lol:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 19:42 »
There are a couple of products you can buy which is basically the types of organism that you get in yoghurt - AVIPRO and Poultry Magic (not sure where I bought that but I can look it up if need be), you can add it to their water or sprinkle on the feed.  It encourages the correct gut flora and is of cause better than dairy product for them.  I think it would work out cheaper than yougurt in the long run !

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 20:43 »
I went there once Aunty, and my Mum's old boss lived there, and he was posh!!!!!!!  Perhaps its come down in the world in the last 30 years?????

Once you get out of Dartford its quite nice, unless its changed in the past 30 years too! lol  Now I'm only allowed 1 visit to Kent a year, I rarely get beyond Dartford!

I tell a lie, my friend Jacqui sometimes takes me to Pole Hill Garden Centre, I love it there at Christmas time!!!!!

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 16:28 »
Pleased to be able to  report that the rear end seems back to normal now - many thanks for the advice.

Kym

xx
Bantams going beserk and seem afraid of their house! We're at our wits end!

Started by drcarrera on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 22:16
by nuttytart
xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
Egg Question

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 11:44
by poultrygeist
xx
poo question :?

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 19:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 36 queries.