• 12 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Having a really bad run
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:27 »
Hi,

As much as anything I just need to get this off my chest  :(

Having started off with 6 chooks 3 years ago, I am now down to a shaky 4 :(

I lost Ronnie to peritonitis at the beginning of the year.  Our top chook and not the one I thought we would loose first and a bit of a shock.

Then 3 weeks ago, I noticed Layla was off colour.  We identified sour crop on the day I went on hols!  My poor mum who was house/cat/chook sitting managed to nurse her through with frantic texts and calls from me abroad!

4 days after getting back from hols I lost my beautiful Henrietta which was both sudden and stressful. On reading through here, I think it may have been possible she had an impacted crop that caused a blockage - I will never know, but I do know I do not want to see any of my other chooks go through what she went through!

Now today, I have had to book a vets visit for our little Tilly.  Bottom in the pecking order she is showing signs of being unwell. I am worried she has the duck waddle associated with peritonitis and she seems to be heavy breathing which I am not sure if she has always done or if I have turned into a paranoid mummy  :blink:.  Bless her she also has rather raw skin round her neck and breast area, which again I am not too sure if this is down to mites or bullying. 

I know they don't live for ever, but was rather hoping the could space out their problems a bit more  :wub:

Fingers crossed for the Friday vet visit anyway.
Emma

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Having a really bad run
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:35 »
Hi you do seem to be having a rough time of it  :(. What breed of chicken are they?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:00 »
I now have 1 white sussex called Felicity (Ronnie was one) 1 Black Rock Tilly (Henrietta was one) and 2 Blue Marans Layla (our nursed chook) & Bluebell.

I thought they all had life spans of a bit more than 3 years?

I have always been meticulous in cleaning their house and making sure I am doing everthing I should be, so I guess I must just be having an unlucky spell  :(

On the upside the other 3 are looking just fine  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:08 »
Yes those breeds should live longer than that, Blackrocks are known to still be laying the occasional egg at 8 (my blackrock is 5 and she is still laying and going broody).

Sour crop can be caused by an impacted crop, so are they getting access to long grass? If it is getting bound up in their crop causing a blockage the result of this will cause it to ferment leading to sour crop  :(. So two of your girls could have suffered from the same thing without you really knowing.
If you feed them grass/greens then please make sure it is chopped up then any not eaten within an hour pick it up and dispose of it. Grass is notorious for going sour.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:18 »
Thank you for replying.

They do free range less in the summer than the winter as I have a little boy Charlie, and he will always fall over in chicken poo on the lawn  :blink:

Having said that they have a large run (15ft by 8ft) so plenty of room, albeit no grass(they demolished the grass within days of moving in!).  I have had to educate Charlie of late.  He loves to feed them grass so we are now making sure it is in small bits before feeding them.

Thanks for the advice.  As I said fingers crossed for Friday re Tilly and I am told that I am just being a bit over paranoid!  :wub:

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 13:58 »
Good luck for friday   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 17:25 »
Not good news I am afraid.

As I feared poor little Tilly had peritonitis and I had to leave her with the Vet  :(

The only re-assuring thing was the vet said it wasn't down to anything I had or hadn't done.

To loose 2 of our girls through different illnesses in less than 1 week is tough and to be honest feel pretty rubbish right now!

I know some will think I am daft for getting upset over a chook, but they are my chooks...

Still I know she had a good life, eating lots of slugs and bugs and she is now roosting with my Ronnie & Henrietta xx

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 19:00 »
Sorry to hear about little Tilly - it's heartbreaking when it happens. Be rest assured that it's nothing you have done and sometimes these things just happen. There's never a good time to experience the death of a pet (because that's what they are) and coming so soon after the other one, you have my sympathy.

Keep your chin up.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 19:13 »
poor you- just remember you did your best for your girls and they had a happy time with your family
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 19:52 »
So sorry about Tilly, Charlie  :(
You gave her a great life while she was with you.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 20:00 »
Thank you so much for all your kind replies.

Both Tilly, Henrietta and Ronnie did have great lives, just a shame they were all as short as they were  :(

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 01:24 »
This sounds like really bad luck but hopefully your other three will remain healthy.  let's hope so.

Typically a chickens lifespan is anything from 3 upto 6 or seven years old.  My oldest ever bird was a Light Sussex which reached 10yo but most go around 6yo.  Hybrids usually don't live as long as pure breeds and tend to have laying disorders which can strike any time after their first two years.
HF
Truth through science.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 10:22 »
Thank you Hillfooter, I think that was what the vet was trying to tell me.

Never an easy decision to make, but at least I can spot the symptoms (even if its a bit too late) and make sure that they don't suffer....and in the meantime enjoy them and ensure they are happy chooks.  :)

Em

Page created in 6.949 seconds with 37 queries.