egg hunting

• 2 Replies

JACDORE

egg hunting
« on: July 05, 2011, 14:20 »
My new ex batteries dont know to lay their eggs in the hen house.  Maddy does as she's 2 1/2 and been here since day one.  Now out of the 5, 1 lays inside the house the others if they lay (as not all laying) lay anywhere on their side, usual under the rose bush or just outside the henhouse in the run.  We go egg hunting every hour.  Now do i need to go buy some solid eggs and leave them in the house to teach them where to go?? Any tips appreciated as im disabled and cant always reach the eggs.
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

bantam novice

Re: egg hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 15:10 »
Hello Jacdore,

Some false eggs may help them get the idea.

Some kind of egg collector with a long handle, maybe something like a "helping hand" could possibly help with low-level collecting.

Good luck and keep us posted  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: egg hunting
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 15:19 »
If you could restrick them so a smaller run attached to the coop until they realise the nest box is a nice and comfy place to lay.  Hope you get them coop trained soon.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Hunting Dogs Killed My Chickens Today - What Can I do

Started by pookey on The Hen House

49 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 20:30
by Ice
xx
Update on Hunting Dogs Killed My Chooks - NO REPLIES PLEASE

Started by pookey on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 15:08
by DeadlyNightshade

Page created in 2.882 seconds with 36 queries.