Spanish onions

• 9 Replies

stompy

Spanish onions
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:02 »
My partner really likes the taste of spanish onions, she had alot of salads on holiday and said they taste much nicer than the UK ones.

Are they a different variety of is it just the growing conditions, sun (etc) that makes them different?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Spanish onions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:09 »
You can buy varieties that are sweeter........but I don't think you can get them as sets. You'd have to grow from seed.

I'm growing Walla Walla Sweets this year (first time from seed).....I'll let you know how they turn out :)

John's onion page has this to say
The strength of an onion is due to the sulphur content and how you grow your onions makes a difference to how much sulphur they will contain.
Although, like all plants, onions require potash, the more potash they have available the less sulphur they absorb. Using low potash fertilisers will result in smaller, but stronger tasting onions.

so feeding and the soil they are growing in will make a difference as well ;)

stompy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:32 »
I have never grown onions from seed before, i've always used sets.

I'll have a look for next year.

I'm growing Walla Walla Sweets this year (first time from seed).....I'll let you know how they turn out

Thanks Mum

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:36 »
If you were a serviceman in Hong Kong in the 80s, and if after sampling the 'delights' of Wanchai  ::)  you found you had missed the last Star Ferry back to 'Kowloonside',  you could leap on a small bumboat to cross the harbour.  

These went by the name Walla Wallas.  I've tried to find out why that name but no joy so far!   :blink:   Cheers,   Tony.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:39 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:24 »
By Spanish onions, do you mean the white skinned ones?

I have tried to find white-skinned onion sets too, but not managed to find them locally. I remember one of the main "catalogues" had them a few years ago, but had sold out when I tried to order them (probably too late!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 13:18 »
They have Snowball overwintering onions @ D T Brown, I don't know anything about them though!
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/62252/onions-autumn-sets-snowball

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 17:53 »
They have Snowball overwintering onions @ D T Brown, I don't know anything about them though!
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/62252/onions-autumn-sets-snowball

It says they are "Autumn Sets".... it's probably a daft question, but does that mean they are planted in Autumn, or harvested in Autumn? If they are for planting in Autumn, maybe this is why I've never found them locally, as I look out for them early Spring!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 17:59 »
The ones in the link are for Autumn planting and will be ready for harvesting before the spring planted ones.
The only drawback is that Autumn -planted onions tend not to store as well as spring planted ones.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 22:36 »
I'm growing Walla Walla Sweets this year (first time from seed).....I'll let you know how they turn out :)

I had to pull these early, because of white rot  :( before they had a chance to get really big, but they were lovely and sweet.
but the best onions I grew for eating raw were Rossa Lunga de Firenze aka Long Red Florence.
These are 'banana shallot shaped' onions from seed (but grow much quicker than spring onions) grown 2/3 to a module and then planted out, they were more productive than the Walla Walla.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 16:08 »
Spanish onions are a larger, sweeter and yellowy fleshed onion. They're fine for fresh eating and stir frys, etc, but sadly don't store quite as long as keeper types such as Stuttgart, etc. We can get them as sets here but prefer to grow them from seed due to the variety and better growth.

White onions are the sweetest yet and refer specifically to the white flesh. Unless you have perfect storage conditions, they don't last long, but they really are the best for fresh eating. Walla Wallas are such, same with Candy. These are available only as seeds or started seedlings.

xx
Spanish Onions

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 22:40
by solway cropper
clip
Spanish slugs?

Started by annieanne49 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 21:17
by Yorkie
xx
Spanish Acorns

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 21:24
by gobs
xx
Heritage Spanish big globe Tomato

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 19:00
by WulfrunFrank

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 38 queries.