Can anyone tell me about eelworm?

• 4 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Can anyone tell me about eelworm?
« on: July 03, 2011, 23:04 »
At the lottie today someone told me that her onions had eelworm and that it was likely that everyone would have it.

I did notice when I was weeding the onions that the leaves were all sort of twisted around but didn't think much to it.  They are fine now.

The onions are planted in alternate rows with the carrots to keep the carrot fly away.

Does anyone know anything about eelworm - will it affect the onions, will it affect the carrots and will it affect the area that it is in?
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

BabbyAnn

Re: Can anyone tell me about eelworm?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:49 »
Have to confess  I had to google it as I always thought eelworm was a potato problem, but apparently there is an onion/garlic one, and is not restricted to those but has other plant hosts including beetroot, squashes and rhubarb as well as a number of weeds.  It sounds like a pretty serious problem on your site   :(

The eelworm is called Ditylenchus dipsaci - here is a link to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditylenchus_dipsaci

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:31 »
The first thing to do is to be certain that your neighbour is actually talking about onion eelworm and not onion fly or leek moth. The difference is easy. Eelworm are not visible to the naked eye, the others have maggots/caterpillars that are big enough to see easily.

I do not know much about onion eelworm but from a quick google it would appear that you have a nasty problem. Wide rotations or ceasing growing onions, leeks or shallots are the only way to reduce infections

A gap of at least 3 years is needed to reduce it. The reccommended gap for onion white rot is six years so is should fit in with normal rotations.

It can live in the roots of various crops such as beans and carrots which can act as a carrier but are not usually affected. So much for the rotation idea?

It can survive in dried material. That means that you should not put any infected onions or onion waste on your compost heap and not leave it on your plot or dig any in. It must also mean that onion sets could be a source of infection. ( Somewhere in my mind flower bulbs get a hot water dip for eelworm which may also be the case with onion sets - does anyone know about this?)

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:14 »
My Dad (and his Dad before him, who was a professional gardener) always grew marigolds near tomatoes, reckoned they helped them grow, so I've always done the same - until we got hit by blight!

It's backed up by a fair bit of evidence these days. Dwarf French Marigolds are the ones to use to get rid of, or repel, eelworms. "Eelworm" is the popular name for soil/root nematodes.

I was reading about them recently and remember seeing that the effect is up to a metre from the plant, so you don't need to plant many but they do look pretty as a border, and can act as a sacrificial plant for slugs too.

I saved one site about growing bulbs, which suggests that the 'kill rate' is 95% if there are no other crops for the nematodes. The other site is not UK-based, but suggests that they should be planted to deter/repel/kill all sorts of crop pests. (search within the article for marigold). This site says quite a bit more.

If you do a general web search for tagetes and nematodes you'll find a lot of information, hopefully some of it will help you.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:56 »
Thanks for that.     

Sounds like a real pain. 

:(

xx
eelworm

Started by ulsterfairy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 19:11
by ulsterfairy
xx
potato eelworm

Started by oborne27 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 27, 2010, 10:57
by JayG
xx
eelworm killer

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 12:42
by WG.
clip
Onion stem eelworm

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 16:40
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.