Noisy hen (really hope its a hen)

• 9 Replies

Raven81

Noisy hen (really hope its a hen)
« on: July 03, 2011, 22:30 »
Normally my hens don't make any noise at all until 8am when they just cluck disapprovingly if I am a few minutes late letting them out. However, this morning at 6.30am they were making a terrible noise - they live in the back garden, our bedroom is in the front plus we have double glazing and it woke me up!!!
I have 4 warrens that I got at POL in mid-May so I guess they are around 6 months old.  This evening I again heard one of them making a terrible noise. I have not been able to find a picture of a warren cockerel anywhere to check what they look like compared to the hens, and am really hoping its just a hen having a bad day!!
I have the feeling last night a rogue animal from somewhere may have got in the garden as this morning the cats were sniffing around the garden, which may have explained bizarre behaviour.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Noisy hen (really hope its a hen)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 23:55 »
If you post a picture of your suspected cockerel someone may be able to give you an opinion.

You might be right if you have had a fox in the garden.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 00:34 »
My chickens are normally very quiet - they only bok-bok-bok to themselves while they are wandering around looking for worms.
The exceptions to this are:
  • If something frightens them (your idea about a rogue animal may explain it).  It also happens when one's hubby throws a shoe at them.  >:(
  • If one of them has been busy, then turns around and her sisters have left her behind!  If she can't see them she will call out loudly.
  • If someone has laid an egg.  My Barnevelder is the only one laying so far, and she does it in complete silence.  But her Barred Rock sister sees the egg and shouts about it for the whole neighbourhood to hear.
  • If something unusual and upsetting happens (even if it's not frightening).  When a Barred Rock flew to the top of the fence, a Light Sussex came to the back door and YELLED for me to come and see. (She's a bit of a tell-tale.)  The LS will do the same if their food runs out or anything else unsettling happens.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:37 »
hi raven. not sure if we're talking about the same breed of chook but if you have isa warren hens then you will definately be able to tell the difference between the girls and boy.

we have one - he is very gangly, has a really upright position - almost like an aseel stag, is slight and has upright tail feathers, his legs are longer as is his neck. hope that helps :)
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

gaufron

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:43 »
I have had three Black Rocks for two years now and they often "crow" sometimes when they have laid an egg sometimes when they seem to be looking for each other. One occassion they all did it at once and it was deafening! But they only do it in daylight when they are out and about.  It isn't a true crow more extreame rosey thats a bit like an engine starting up ending in a sort of crow.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 14:14 »
My two black rocks do the same... usually when they've done someting (like lay an egg) or want something (like treats).
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 16:38 »
The exceptions to this are:

If something frightens them (your idea about a rogue animal may explain it).  It also happens when one's hubby throws a shoe at them. 
If one of them has been busy, then turns around and her sisters have left her behind!  If she can't see them she will call out loudly.
If something unusual and upsetting happens (even if it's not frightening).  When a Barred Rock flew to the top of the fence, a Light Sussex came to the back door and YELLED for me to come and see. (She's a bit of a tell-tale.)  The LS will do the same if their food runs out or anything else unsettling happens.

I can agree with that
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Raven81

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 17:46 »
I think in that case that something must have frightened them. This morning they were quiet as usual - and for once didn't tell me off for letting them out late as I had to go out earlier than usual!
Haven't been around much today but they seem quiet again.
Thanks for the replies.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 22:53 »
Every morning Doris (and hopefully not Norris!) comes out of the coop, stands on some logs and does a half crow, I REALLY ope she's just clearing her throat. She's only 11 weeks old so not definately sexed I suppose but she's my fave and I'd hate her to be Norris  :mellow:

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 09:05 »
One of our white leghorn hens makes a dreadful noise when she wants to get into an occupied beating box.  The noise is really terrible, far worse than a cockerel crowing! 
Pamela

xx
Really hope some one can advise...

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 22:37
by orchardlady
xx
B****r (now with hope and piccies)

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 20:08
by Jellyhead
xx
I hope this works

Started by lotstodo on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 11:08
by lotstodo
xx
posting a pic hope it works

Started by nettynoodles1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 18:36
by peggyprice

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 28 queries.