Help with bantams - poor girl now on her own

• 6 Replies

Laurie1203

Help with bantams - poor girl now on her own
« on: July 02, 2011, 03:54 »
I wonder if anyone keeps bantams and can help me please.

We have had a pair of lavender bantams for around two and a half years. They were given to us by a local farmer (little country farm with animals well cared for). We have had them living in our walled garden with a little hen house to go into at night.

Very sadly the cockerel has passed away so the poor little girl is on her own. I know we must get her a friend but I was wondering if we should do this straight away or wait a little while. Also, I was going to get another female instead of a male, do you think she will adapt to this change OK?

I could also do with some advice on what breed to get. They live in our walled garden and are free to wander through the beds and Borders - whilst they do scratch about they seem to be either the right size or breed not to cause any major damage to plants etc. Would the same be true of all types of bantams or is this type just particularly good? We would love full sized hens so we could get a higher volume of eggs but know they would scratch a lot more and don't want to keep them penned in.

Does anyone have any recommendations if we should stick to the same breed or what else may suit our situation? Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading.

Laurie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help with bantams - poor girl now on her own
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:01 »
hello Laurie and welcome.
Do you know what breed of bantam you have? There are lots of varieties of bantams - some are very tiny such as the serama and dutch. Others are slightly bigger such as the araucana and favourelle. Some have feathered feet and these seem to do less damage to the ground - these are breeds such as the sabelpoot, barbu d'uccle and the cochin.
Your hen will probably take on the role of the cockerel and rule the roost if you get a couple of young hens and she will more than likely tell them off quite a bit in the first couple of weeks. I would personally get some new hens as soon as possible as they do like company.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:14 »
I agree with Joyfull here.  Chickens are flock birds and need company
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:22 »
Hi, I have large fowl and love to see them free ranging but they do make a mess and dig like crazy, however, this year i have made little fences around my borders with bamboo canes and 3 rows of garden string wrapped around them, only at about a foot high and they look quite nice and rustic and so far it seems to be doing the trick.   Might be worth a go if you have problems.
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 12:34 »
My Bantams do very little damage at all - its great.
The 4 ex batts however are very destructive, but also hilarious to watch, so they can be forgiven.. haha..

I would think your girl is just desperate to have at least one new friend, if not a few more ;-)

Phil
4 Ex Batts (Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche & Rose) 1 SLW Bantam  (Lacey) 1 GLW Bantam (Harriet) 2 Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams 2 Silkies & 1 Cream Legbar. 3 Pugs (1 Black & 2 Silver Fawns) I breed and show rabbits of which I have about 80 and judge in the UK and Internationally

Laurie1203

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 14:42 »
hello Laurie and welcome.
Do you know what breed of bantam you have? There are lots of varieties of bantams - some are very tiny such as the serama and dutch. Others are slightly bigger such as the araucana and favourelle. Some have feathered feet and these seem to do less damage to the ground - these are breeds such as the sabelpoot, barbu d'uccle and the cochin.
Your hen will probably take on the role of the cockerel and rule the roost if you get a couple of young hens and she will more than likely tell them off quite a bit in the first couple of weeks. I would personally get some new hens as soon as possible as they do like company.

She is a Pekin Lavender, looks quite large but is all fluffy feathers lol. 

I will certainly look up the breeds you mention that do less damage thank you. Is there any problem with mixing breeds?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 15:18 »
no problem at all with mixing breeds - I have araucanas, sabelpoots, Belgian barbu d'anvers, appenzellers, ex batts, silkie crosses, araucana crosses, black rock, plus loads more that I can't remember what breed they are lol!!

xx
Poor Girl!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 12:45
by wadz81
xx
poor poor tweety --- incubators suck

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:25
by Midwife
question
bantams

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 15:54
by ANHBUC
xx
bantams ?

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 18, 2007, 21:40
by littlefeat

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 37 queries.