weeding peas through netting??

• 18 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
Re: weeding peas through netting??
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 12:03 »
i sowed early onwards,  something longshaft?, kelvedon something, i chucked the packets im afraid.  yes, i fear they havent got enough height to grow properly under the netting.

i might cut it all off, and let them be 'free', lol, as the ones growing outside of the netting by accident ( or my inexperience) seem untouched by anything now, perhaps the pigeons go off them when they get bigger.

well you live and learn, and anyway they look pretty even if not productive :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 12:07 »
Hurst Green Shaft, I would think & Kelvedon Wonder.

Let then go through to top if you can, the pigeons will only get them if they can balance on, or squash down the foliage. They don't hover too well!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:16 »
i sowed early onwards,  something longshaft?, kelvedon something, i chucked the packets im afraid.  yes, i fear they havent got enough height to grow properly under the netting.

i might cut it all off, and let them be 'free', lol, as the ones growing outside of the netting by accident ( or my inexperience) seem untouched by anything now, perhaps the pigeons go off them when they get bigger.

well you live and learn, and anyway they look pretty even if not productive :)

I did exactly the same thing last year with a variety of sugarsnaps which, as I've just posted elsewhere on here, grow to about 7 feet! I surgically removed the netting to let them continue their journey skywards.

I have no suitable peasticks so use pea netting, which I surround with a 3' high free-standing barrier of plastic trellis netting just close enough to stop the pigeons trying to land inside but far enough away to stop the peas trying to climb up it. It gets removed when the peas get to about 2' high by which time the pigeons have lost interest (or more likely just can't reach them.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 13:30 »
The Alderman peas have reached the top of the 6ft A-frame and escaped from under the  enviromesh which only just reaches the top :(

Sparrers have started eating the tops again :ohmy: so I'll have to figure out a way to raise the mesh.......bloomin sparrers  :mad:

xx
peas and netting

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 08:54
by Salmo
xx
Peas - netting or not?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 07:22
by Zippy
xx
Netting peas.

Started by Bignij on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 20:31
by Bignij
xx
Netting for peas

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 20:30
by andtiggertoo

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 39 queries.