weeding peas through netting??

• 18 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
weeding peas through netting??
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:49 »
my first year on allotment over the road from me, im loving it :) but im not sure about my peas, they are growing great now that ive netted them about a month ago - before that the pigeons were getting them. my netting is dug into the ground, and goes over the pea sticks, but there are alot weeds in the area under the netting with the pea plants, do i have to dig the netting up to weed, or cut holes in it, or just leave the weeds in... :unsure:

i think the peas are kelvedon wonder and early onward, i put two packets in to an area of about 14 ft by 8ft . is this too many?  thanks for any advice

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: weeding peas through netting??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:04 »
Any reason why you dug the net in? Mine are just secured with pegs made from old wire coat hangers.

Really the options are yours, but if you cut holes in the netting it's had it! I'd go with digging it up and then pegging it down when you replace it.

Have you broadcast sown the peas, or are they in rows within this area?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 15:19 »
I agree with DD - never cut netting because the pests will find it immediately.

I too would dig up the edges, crawl under to weed, then peg it down or place lots of heavy rocks along the edges so they can't sneak under any loose bits.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 16:22 »
Any reason why you dug the net in? Mine are just secured with pegs made from old wire coat hangers.

Really the options are yours, but if you cut holes in the netting it's had it! I'd go with digging it up and then pegging it down when you replace it.

Have you broadcast sown the peas, or are they in rows within this area?

Does have no pegs and did not think of weeding.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 17:27 »
i dug it in because i saw on here that someone else had dug it in, lol. also i thought it would keep out those pigeons better, as they had decimated them (im suprised they came good at all) .  but i will definately lift it and weed this weekend, thanks for that :)

heloise

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 17:36 »
I use tent pegs (the metal hooked shaped ones) to pin down the edges of the netting, along with bricks to hold down the sections inbetween. These are easy to move to get under the netting for weeding and then replace.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 17:38 by heloise »

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 17:48 »
You really need to hold the net down with pegs or rocks.  Having it dug in is going to make it a bit tricky when you pick the peas.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 20:02 »
Not wishing to put the cat among them,  :tongue2:, I found that my dwarf pea plants suffered more damage netted than not! S&S I think  :mad:.

I shifted the netting & the plants improved  :).I've only recently shifted the netting on my tall peas, & like my fellow plotter's plots, the pigeons haven't bothered  :blink:

Mash  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 20:20 »
My tall peas are unnetted, but I found with the "standard" ones, the pigeons were squashing the foliage down to make landing pads!  >:( >:(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 20:28 »
Maybe that's why mine are all sort of squashed to the ground  :ohmy: :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 22:38 »
It's funny how pigeon's taste buds vary.  They don't seem to be interested in peas on our site at all.  However give them a cabbage and they are away........

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:52 »
pigeons leave my peas alone.................it's the sparrers that are the problem here  :mad:

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 10:28 »
I protect my peas in two phases.

At sowing I put a low wire mesh guard over to stop pigeons and sparrows. When they touch to top of the guards I remove them and put bushy pea sticks in place. The pigeons usually leave them alone at this stage.

As soon as the first flower buds show on goes enviromesh to keep out pea moth. I used to be able to remove this once the flowers had all set but the last year or two I have had to leave it in place to keep pigeons off.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 18:55 »
well thanks for all your comments, i set to and weeded them yesterday, a long job, and a good few pea plants pulled out by accident, but a mountain of weeds :happy:

what i did notice about some of the plants was that they seemed bunched up against the netting, strangled really, i wonder if i put the netting too low :unsure:. my pea sticks are only about 2 ft high and the netting lays over it. well ill know for next year.

my heart sank to read that there is a pea moth??  what is this, sounds like something else to worry about....... :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 19:03 »
What variety did you sow?

There are very few that are as short as 2'.

Pea moth, sorry to say is a  bit of a worry. Early sown peas can avoid it or you fleece/Enviromesh them to protect from the moth. The non-organic was is to spray when the peas are in flower.

It's the larva of the moth that does the damage, eating the peas and leaving a load of poo in their place.

xx
peas and netting

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 08:54
by Salmo
xx
Peas - netting or not?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 07:22
by Zippy
xx
Netting peas.

Started by Bignij on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 20:31
by Bignij
xx
netting for my peas

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 13:21
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 38 queries.