Watery strawberries

• 13 Replies

veggirl

• Experienced Member
Watery strawberries
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:08 »
I have two strawberry patches - the one on the allotment produces small to medium, very sweet and flavourful strawberries, but not many runners and the plants need replacing next year. The one at home (raised bed 4'x4') produces huge plants with big, very juicy but rather flavourless strawberries, so I'm tempted to give up on it. Any advice on varieties, magic treatments, etc? Please  :D

gobs

Re: Watery strawberries
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:29 »
Mae is a very good one.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:41 »
Thank you. I thought I might try to have some variation in when they are ready, too.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50 »
Thank you. I thought I might try to have some variation in when they are ready, too.

That's an early/mid-season variety. Probably classed as the latter. It finishes nowish.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 13:30 »
We've put in a few different variaties to try.. my favourite for flavour so far is Hapil.  An extremely intense flavour.

bigben

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 13:48 »
Irresistible is, as the name suggested, very good and produces plenty of runners. T &M say you are not meant to propagate from them so I have tried to stop them propagating by partly burying the runners and regularly pouring cold water over them. It does not seem to be working :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 14:28 »
Irresistible is, as the name suggested, very good and produces plenty of runners. T &M say you are not meant to propagate from them so I have tried to stop them propagating by partly burying the runners and regularly pouring cold water over them. It does not seem to be working :)

:lol:  :lol:
I have the same problem with Albion strawberries ( ::)) which I have praised on here recently so I won't mention them again (Whoops!)  :)

It's all about Plant Breeder's Rights I believe; no-one can stop them doing what comes naturally and you will be OK if you keep the new plants for your own personal use only.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 15:12 »
The watery taste is literally just that in most cases. The berries absorb too much water after rainfalls or too frequent watering. It then takes a few days for the berries to lose some of the excess water which is why jam berries are best picked after a few days of no rain - less water content.

Taste can also be affected by what you feed the plants with, and when. Ideally, plants should be well fed after cropping rather than before or during. Fertilizers tend to give great plants but less flavor. Manures give better flavor but aren't always available to everyone.

Also, the variety can be less than tasty. I stayed with one variety, Kent, for years until I tried Honeye (not sure if available in UK) which is so sweet and tasty, and will now be the only berry I grow. It'll be a matter of trying numerous varieties to see what you like best, then stick with it.

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 15:24 »
Thank you all, I've just noticed that there is an offer on the gardening mag this month, so I think I'll send for them, then fill out with the varieties you've suggested.

heloise

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 17:34 »
We enjoy the Cambridge Favourites the best - an oldie but a goodie. However we found Elsanta to be watery and quite tasteless, so have got rid of those. Some of it I'm sure is personal taste, some is growing conditions and some the variety.
Perhaps this is an excuse to buy lots of varieties and experiment? (Strawberry plant shopping - yeah!)

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 06:57 »
Now that sounds like a plan-when it gets hot today, I'll sit down with my catalogues and plan.....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 07:04 »

I did that, that, then tried snipping them off and partially burying them in a small pot.

It didn't work for me as the darn things grew, so I tried throwing them in a hole on the plot. They're that tenacious they carried on growing. Maybe someone else will have more sucess in not propagating them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 08:29 »
Your home patch is a raised bed. It no doubt has good soil with high organic matter and gets watered frequently. That is probably what is making them tasteless and not the variety. What variety are they?

digalotty

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 11:10 »
i asked my neighbour why my strawberry,'s didnt have a lot of taste but hers did    (she give me some to try)      and she said well they are the same variety but if you water them to much they loose their taste .
i stopped watering and they soon got their flavour back :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
Watery Tomatoes

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 11:55
by lacewing
xx
White and Watery Potatoes

Started by nothinghasdiedyet on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 10:19
by nothinghasdiedyet
xx
A trick for growing spuds in this watery climate

Started by digital_biscuit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 18:55
by Jim T
xx
strawberries

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2019, 16:29
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.