Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes

• 9 Replies

Fleetwood Pete

Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:37 »
This year I thought I'd try a different variety of tomato and bought a Chocolate Cherry from our local Nursery. Selected a healthy looking plant and fetched it home, planted it along with my other toms in a sunny sheltered spot in fresh growing media in a deep planter box.
Now here is my problem :- it has grown well in terms of height etc and has produced several clusters of flowers but none have produced fruit !
It hasn't shown any obvious signs of blight and the other varieties of toms I've planted around it are all bearing fruit some of which is ripening.
Has anyone got any experiance of this variety who can advise me what's going wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:49 »
Have you been helping it by tapping the cane to release the pollen?

Some varieties set easier than others, but I tap the canes on all of mine.....it may just make the difference. I grow Black Cherry which I think is the same thing :)

Fleetwood Pete

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 13:10 »
Not tried that one Mumofstig ! I'll give it  a try this afternoon  :)

Fleetwood Pete

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 15:31 »
So far, so good ! Having tried what was sugguested, the latest flowers have not yet wilted and dropped-So fingers crossed. :D

Fleetwood Pete

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 14:20 »
Sorry to bring this up again but yet again the flowers have failed to set any fruit ! But another shoot has formed 6 or so flowers and the plant has grown a bit higher.
I'm really at a loss with this variity-all my other toms are yealding plenty of fruit of which I've started picking !
Has anyone got any worth while advice about these chocolate cherry tomatoes ? or shall I pull it out and give up on it!

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 14:22 »
Think it is a bit early to give up on it just yet!  I was later than normal planting my seeds and am just getting fruit now.  I have grown chocolate cherry next to my other tomatoes for a couple of years and I haven't noticed any particular difference in the way they grow, although they are probably my favourite tomato so do stick with them.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 23:55 »
Sorry to put a downer on things but i have 2 chocolate cherry tomato plants growing. Both in containers outside.

For about a month now they have had tomatos on them.. slowly starting to get bigger now but still quite small.. they seem to take ages to ripen!

Hope yours sort themselves out soon!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:00 »
Dan, If they are anything like Black Cherry, then you need to pick them before they look ripe  ;)

The colour is deceiving, and by the time they look ripe..........they are past their best.

gardengnome

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:37 »
Judging by other threads, all tomatoes seem to be taking longer to ripen this year, mine are still green, maybe they are on their way? :)

Fleetwood Pete

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 17:19 »
Thanks for the encouragement to keep going with these toms but I'm not hopeful :unsure:

xx
Cherry tomatoes

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 16, 2021, 19:47
by Thrutchington
xx
Cherry tomatoes

Started by Thrift on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 13:43
by mumofstig
xx
Cherry Tomatoes

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2023, 23:45
by Odders
xx
Cherry Tomatoes

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2022, 22:59
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 30 queries.