Mama hen not looking too good, please help.

• 17 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Mama hen not looking too good, please help.
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:42 »
As you know Mama hen 9 chicks that are 4 and 5 days old. Well she has lost form due to being broody and I have been worried about her. Although my friend (her owner) said she would perk up, she hasn't. Her comb is almost purple now, she hasn't been drinking or eating or walking around really. Her poop is bright yellow/green and her vent is getting very messy.
I want to clean her up today, what is the best way to go about it? Any advice for me please?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mama hen not looking too good, please help.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:49 »
do you have a heat lamp to place the chickens under whilst you clean her up? It is quite concerning that she has that colour poop - has she been wormed?  She needs to eat and I'm surprised that she isn't eating chick crumb - has she shown the chicks how to eat it as they normally eat at the same time?
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56 »
I'm not sure if she has been wormed, will try and find out if I need to do it (can't get hold of her owner). The chicks seem to be healthy, eating, drinking, bright eyes and clean vents.
I don't have a lamp but I could go and buy one if I need to.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:14 »
Good luck with Mama hen JaK
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31 »
That does sound worrying Jak  :(  I would suspect worms as well, but she needs fluids quickly as dehydration will take her down fast.  Can you get an eye dropper and try and get some liquid into her ? 

Someone told me the other day they had pulled round a very sick bird who had stopped eating and drinking with scrambled egg.  It's moist and very nutritous - might be worth a shot  :unsure:  I think a heat lamp would be a good idea.  If she does get worse, you may have to separate her from her chicks and they will need keeping warm. 

Got my fingers crossed for you  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:32 »
You can gently bath her rear end in warm slighty soapy water and dry with a hair drier on a low heat setting.  I'd agree that she may need worming though I don't like to do thie when she's not well.  She maybe dehydrated with the heat.  Was the broody coop very warm.  I think the priority is to get lots of fluids into her keep her in a cool environment keep her food simple don't start to feed her lots of supplements or treats.  A wet mash or porridge may get her eating but I wouldn't give her yogurt as my get suggested.  The last thinjg you should be doing is feeding her foreign things when she appears to have a digestive upset of some kind.

If you think she has been lacking fluids or has got heat stress you can use an electrolyte in her water which will replace her blood minerals rapidly.

With this hot weather I seem to be recommending this homemade drink recently

Dissolve in 3 litres of water

5 ml of Salt substitute, (1 teaspoon of potassium chloride)
7.5 ml (1 and a half teaspoons) of Bicarbarbonate of soda (baking soda)
15 ml (3 teaspoons) salt

Feed for 7 to 14 days and your other hens can drink it too but I'd not let the chicks drink it as a precaution.

With the chx I'd do as Joy suggests take them indoors in a warm steady temperature environment in  a large box (not enclosed)and supply a low heat from a heat lamp so they aren't huddling directly under it for warmth or round the outside panting and trying to escape the heat. A temp of 35deg directly under the lamp is fine to start, with a temp gradient moving to the outside so they can find a comfortable zone.  Shavings on the floor,  a chick drinker with a narrow water channel so they can't drownd or get wet and won't foul it.  Similarly with a feeder keep at vent height to prevent fouling.  If the nen is away from them for any length of time she may not brood them so you may need to hand rear.  However she won't be able to brood them if she's sick or dies either and right now her health is the priority.

HF
Truth through science.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 13:10 »
Thank you all for the kind help. I have driven all over the place trying to find a heat lamp, and I can't! Will have to travel further afield. Chicks are in my house now and the central heating is on full, they seem fine for now. Mama is looking worse, I have tried to get food and water into her but she isn't taking it in and can hardley stand now. She is going downhill so fast!  :( Off on my travels now to find a lamp. Wish me luck, I may need it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 13:12 by JaK »

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 13:14 »
wish you lived close to me - you could have borrowed my electric hen  :(

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 16:30 »
Oh thankyou Joy.  I now have a lamp, what temp should I set it at to start with? Unfortuately Mama died while I was out.  :(

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 16:37 »
this thread shows HF's brooder set up, generally whilst they are very young have the heat lamp quite low down and if they are cold they will huddle together under it - if they are too hot then they will move away. So going by that the younger they are the warmer - sorry I can't be more precise over the temperature but an electric hen has just one setting and three heights to regulate the heat.

Sorry about the broody hen, that is so sad - huge hugs xxx

forgot to add the thread:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=52422.45

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 16:52 »
Sorry about Mama hen, good luck with your chicks.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 18:38 »
Oh no - poor mama hen  :( 

You said the chicks were eating and drinking and looked well, so fingers crossed they will be fine.  Your broody may have just starved and dehydrated herself beyond help  :(

bantam novice

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 20:14 »
So sorry to hear about mama hen  :( 
Good luck with your chicks.

orchardlady

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 20:24 »
I'm so sorry to hear hat you Mama hen died. Heartbreaking for you all.

For next time you have a broodie hen.

Always make sure she comes off her eggs at least once a day possibly twice in very hot or very cold weather to eat, drink and poo. If it's very cold cover the eggs with an old face flannel so the eggs don't get chilled.

You may well have done this with Mama hen but remember that broodies go into trance like state when they are sitting to be able to cope with the ordeal of sitting.

Best wishes an I hope all goes well with the little orphans.

Orchardlady

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 21:42 »
Really sad about your broody...she looked lovely and it has brought a tear to my eye.   Best of luck with the little ones, I'm sure they will be fine.  :)
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

xx
What good/not good to feed hens?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 23:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
kt was too good to last

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 15:56
by GrannieAnnie
xx
good day

Started by karenn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 09:25
by tetley

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 39 queries.