geneal advice

• 2 Replies

chuck-chucks

geneal advice
« on: June 28, 2011, 22:15 »
hi im new to keeping chickens so any advice would be great i have 6 ex battery chucks they were feather pecked and pretty bald when i got them they are all  back to full plumage and dning well but im still not sure if i am feeding them correctly they are fully free range of our large garden plenty of bugs and grass for them to peck at through the day i feed them on layers pellets when putting them to bed and have a constant sipplt of water day end night
they are a real addiction now as i didnt intend to haven chickens but would not be without my girls :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: geneal advice
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:13 »
Hi and welcome. They need layers pellets to be available all the time whilst they are awake. In the evening you can give them a small handfull of mixed corn and then overnight they need nothing at all.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Re: geneal advice
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 22:19 »
Good advice from Joyfull, as usual!

I started with ex-bats and mine also free range. However, they have access to their enclosure way before I'm up & about to let them out in the garden and that's when they start eating. It's important that they have access to chicken feed at all times during daylight hours, especially as there's so much more interesting things to eat than they've known in their previous life.

Mine started ignoring pellets for a while - grass, grubs & other goodies always took their fancy first - and they started to lose weight & condition. The advice I was given (and pass on to you) was to keep them in their run for the first couple of hours so that they ate their fill of pellets before going out to forage, that way they got all the essentials in the right proportions that formulated poultry feed is designed to give them.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
More advice please

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 13:36
by Casey76
xx
Ex bat advice please!!!

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 09:42
by Pat4d
smiley
hello and a little advice please

Started by sarahw on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 21:45
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.