onions

• 19 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: onions
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 16:56 »
Like i said i know its off season and i'll be the judge of what conclusion i'm looking for!

There is no need to be rude when someones trying to help!

DD. please accept my sincere apologies for my remark towards you. i didn't mean any disrespect  :)   but at times on certain threads i do find your comments not quite so friendly to read from new learner's perspective.

MoS,  won't happen again  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 17:02 »
You'll get used to my manner of posting, it's often straight facts and no waffle!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 17:29 »
Like i said i know its off season and i'll be the judge of what conclusion i'm looking for!

There is no need to be rude when someones trying to help!

DD. please accept my sincere apologies for my remark towards you. i didn't mean any disrespect  :)   but at times on certain threads i do find your comments not quite so friendly to read from new learner's perspective.

MoS,  won't happen again  :)

He didn't write anything offensive and he is right. Not just off season wise. One trial is no experiment. It has no meaningful consequences.

As for the topic proper: there is no difference other than the way of growing. Both types can be perfectly successful. I often do both. Personally, I hate fighting the birds and whonot about pulling the sets up and get more variety in seeds.

Unfortunately, seedlings are ready to plant out in May, when it's usually stone dry. A lot of watering at this point is required for success.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

LilacSandy

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 17:29 »
 I put in White and Red sets this year, neither was watered and I have mamoth white onions and all the red's went to seed, I think it is just the luck of the draw when buying sets.  Both mine were from the local garden centre and planted in the same bed.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 21:34 »
I think the conditions in the southeast this year have affected everything, how are the seed sown onions doing now colinc?
I always struggle with seed sown varieties, having my best results from sets; this year it is the opposite, the onion sets have not bulked up and most of the leaves are brown. With the recent rain the seed sown onions have sprung into life, the leaves are full, green and straight and the bulbs are definitely bigger.
I like onions and always try both methods, on balance I have had more success in getting sets to maturity and in storage.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 29 queries.