When do you pick your sweet peppers?

• 5 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
When do you pick your sweet peppers?
« on: June 27, 2011, 18:10 »
I've only grown sweet peppers for a few years (from a packet of "mixed sweet peppers", some of which have been quite "interesting"!)

This year fate has decided that all four plants are "standard" bell peppers which, although they have a very handy built-in traffic light colour system to tell you when they are ripe, they don't let you know whether picking them whilst still green will encourage more fruit to set.

My plants have got about 4 peppers apiece on, the largest of which are probably big enough to eat as green peppers now; they are showing signs of aborting the most recently set flowers as if they think they've done enough!

Problem for me is that I really prefer to eat them as red peppers; what do you do, and how many peppers (of any colour) do you expect to get?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: When do you pick your sweet peppers?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 19:10 »
I have found that plants carry on flowering right through, with the occasional feed, so I just leave mine until I want to pick them -- green or red  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 19:13 »
you will get more peppers if you pick them green :)

About 4-6 is what I get if I keep them on to ripen, so you seem to be about the same.
I'm growing what's sposed to be a sooper dooper heavy yielding one.........but so far it's no better than last years  :nowink:

(Last year I said no more aubergines and no more peppers, cos it wasn't worth it.....but I've tried them both again ::) )

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 19:14 »
How did you do that? This is the worst year I've ever had for peppers. Except for one plant I over wintered from last year, they're all very under sized and pathetic, with the first signs of flowers just starting to appear.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 19:26 »
Mum: I suspected that you-know-whose law would apply to the number of peppers you get versus how ripe you prefer to eat them!

I've postponed trying aubergines given that it's my first year with a greenhouse, but I might try them next year (some crops don't really justify the effort do they, but I still enjoy seeing what I can get away with!)

Shokky: as you will have gathered I don't have a lot of experience of growing sweet peppers - I did hedge my bets by growing one lot in the house and the others in the greenhouse and the "house-plants" are doing a bit better than the others, which is probably not that surprising given the difficult conditions so far this year.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 18:53 »
In my experience just about all of them change colour - to whatever the particular type's ripe shades are - in store.

Some varieties are more prolific than others, but with regular feeding, plenty of watering and regular green harvest a lot of them can be cropped continuously.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
sweet peppers

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:28
by mumof4
xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2021, 08:00
by Longshanks
xx
sweet peppers were hot!

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 21:33
by Annen
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 00:34
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 32 queries.