may have a prob with one of my chickens

• 3 Replies

tyne salmon

may have a prob with one of my chickens
« on: June 26, 2011, 17:27 »
 first off let me say hello,to every one. i have just taken on three chickens and one of them is lacking feathers on her breast area,witch is also red and inflamed i cant see any mites of any kind,and she seems quite normal and behaves just like the other two
and does not show any other symtons of any kind, would be very pleased if anyone can help.

bantam novice

Re: may have a prob with one of my chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 18:51 »
Hello Tyne Salmon and welcome to the forum  :D

I am not an expert and I'm sure some more experienced people will be along to give you advice.  In the meantime there are some things that might be a factor.

How old is your hen?  Hens can pluck out their chest feathers when they go broody.  She may have just finished being broody. 

If if looks red and inflamed she may have some kind of allergic reaction or dermatitis.

When did you last worm your hens and what did you use?  Have you used anything like frontline for external parasites?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:51 »
Hello Tyne Salmon,  congratulations on your lovely new chickens.  We all have a few trials and tribulations with them, but you will soon find them such a delight that you will wonder how you ever got on without them!

Is it possible for you to take a closer look at your chicken's skin and describe how it looks?  Sometimes this is easiest to do in the evening when they are all a bit dozy and easier to pick up.

I would like to know:
Is the inflamed area dry or damp?
Is there any smell associated with it?
Is there any kind of crust or scab?
Can you see any feather shafts pushing through the skin?

Also does your chicken sleep on a perch or on the floor?  If she sleeps on a perch, are there any sharp edges that could irritate her skin?

I would also like to know how long she has had this problem, but as you have just taken them on you might not be able to answer that question.

Good luck with your girls.

tyne salmon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:40 »
Hello Tyne Salmon,  congratulations on your lovely new chickens.  We all have a few trials and tribulations with them, but you will soon find them such a delight that you will wonder how you ever got on without them!

Is it possible for you to take a closer look at your chicken's skin and describe how it looks?  Sometimes this is easiest to do in the evening when they are all a bit dozy and easier to pick up.

I would like to know:
Is the inflamed area dry or damp?
Is there any smell associated with it?
Is there any kind of crust or scab?
Can you see any feather shafts pushing through the skin?

Also does your chicken sleep on a perch or on the floor?  If she sleeps on a perch, are there any sharp edges that could irritate her skin?

I would also like to know how long she has had this problem, but as you have just taken them on you might not be able to answer that question.

Good luck with your girls.
qestion1dry   2no smell   3 dry white, like dead skin  4perch that is 75mm wide and has rounded edges    5 maybe about 4 weeks   6the birds are about 8months old i have had them from 18weeks two are layers and one not i have no idear wich one  i was just waiting to see if it would start laying

question
mite/lice prob

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 20:45
by dizzylizzie
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.939 seconds with 36 queries.