chickens in the back garden

• 11 Replies

paul veg

chickens in the back garden
« on: June 25, 2011, 16:54 »
silly question can you keep 1/2 chinkens in the back garden, or will my neighbours grass me up to the council, think i am right in saying its not allowed due to the noise  :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: chickens in the back garden
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 17:12 »
Are you a council or housing association tenant? If so, you should be able to refer to your contract. Different councils will vary in approach. If you are privately owned, there might still be clauses on you free/leasehold agreement which allow, don't specify or disallow poultry in the garden. You seem to imply that you'll get "grassed up" so perhaps you aren't allowed where you are. :(

Regardless of the red tape, its great to keep a couple of chickens running around the garden. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 17:38 »
If you are allowed, you can't have just one chicken, they get lonely. I inherited one of my chickens from someone because she was by herself and depressed.
Three is the ideal number to get so that if one does die the others wont be left alone =)
They are brilliant to keep though!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

henwood

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 18:19 »
Hi,
I keep 3 in my back garden. I thought about it for a long time before I committed to them as I wasnt sure if it was fair when I was at work most days.

Anyway, I went on a local chicken keeping course to help make my mind up, so I would advise you do one or go and see someone who keeps them if you know anyone.
I must admit that when I first got them i wondered if I had done the right thing, but after a couple of weeks I got into a routine and it is a lot easier.

I think the only thing I regret is buying a chicken ark I can not physically get into (the run part that is!) as I think, on reflection, it would be easier to manage overall if I could get into the run.

As regards noise, they don't seem to make much, the odd cluck but thats all.  I hear more noise from the chickens 3 doors down but even they aren't 'noisey'
I give my neighbours some eggs every now and then also, but not to keep the peace, I just don't need 3 eggs a day!

I did let them know I was getting chickens.

GO FOR IT is what I say.
 :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 18:29 by henwood »

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 19:07 »
Despite what your tenancy agreement may say in fact you have a statuatory right to keep chx in your back garden provided they don't cause a nuisance or pose a public health hazzard.  Even if your tenancy agreement says you can't keep them the Allotment Act applies even though your back garden isn't an allotment.  This is the law enacted by parliament and has precedence over any tenancy agreement or contract you may sign.

None the less it would be best to consult your neighbours first and act responsibly.

HF
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:35 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

kimmcb

• Conquering the world, one chicken at a time.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 19:22 »
I think there are rules about keeping a cock in a backgarden, but certainly not hens (unless you're renting, of course) The only problem you could have is is you don't keep them clean enough and it attracts vermin, then environmental health could step in. Otherwise go for it, I have 3 in my teeny back garden!

Goldfinger

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 19:41 »

We have 5 in our garden  :D  we caught neighbours on one side talking to them one day. They've since moved out and the house is empty. On the other side, we've never seen our other neighbours, just 'hear' them.

We've never had anyone complain, just the total opposite, found people fascinated that we keep chooks in the back garden and not on the allotment or in a field.

Far far better than than a rabbit or guinea pig me thinks.  8)

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:20 »
You have a statuatory right under the allotments act to keep hens and rabbits in your back garden.
You cannot surrender this right, any clause in your tenancy agreement or covenant that says you have surrender this right is unenforcable, and anyone attempting to take you to court on it is going to be in a for a nasty shock.

That said, if you are a private tenant, the land lord might simply decide to refuse to renew your lease....

You are still bound by all normal laws in relation to noise, hygene, ect.

Idealy, you need three chickens as a minimum.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Raven81

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 12:31 »
My parents have in the deeds for their house that they are not allowed hens. 
Fortunately we do not have this, we called the council to check and are allowed up to 13 hens and no cockerel, so perhaps worth calling them to check what they say.
My neighbour doesn't like animals but hasn't complained as they are not noisy and I always think its no different to a dog in a kennel or rabbit in a hutch. I have 4 hens in a reasonably small garden, they only take about 2 minutes a day to clean up after too!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

outercircle

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 13:46 »
I've spoken to various neighbours on all three sides of the garden and two or three doors away and the unanimous response is they like hearing them. One even squawks back when the "I've just laid an egg" announcement is relayed across the neighbourhood.

Sitting in my back garden now, I can hear several dogs, a band saw, a very noisy petrol lawn mower, various children and someone practicing the drums. The chickens are burbling away quietly in the background....

Dominic

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 15:32 »
Raven
The Deeds are unenforcable.
In reality no covenants are enforcable, but that clause has been specificaly over ruled by an act of parliament.

Parliament says your parents can keep chickens.
That is the end of it.  Acts of Parliament trump anything else, thats sort of the point of them.

A clause in your title deeds that says you cant keep chickens has no more legal force than one that says you dont have to pay taxes.

Raven81

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 17:10 »
Dominic, thats really good news, I shall tell them as they live in quite a rural area and would love some but always thought they couldn't and have obviously never thought to look into it any further!   :)

xx
want hens in the back garden

Started by woodsmoke on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 15:01
by Foxy
xx
back garden chooks

Started by Mega on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 09:12
by Sassy
xx
Help with back garden chooks

Started by smelly on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 09:35
by Roughlee Handled
xx
How do I get my new chickens to come back to me? Will they run away?

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 20:26
by Junie

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 38 queries.