Advice on cucumbers please

• 8 Replies

rubyrose

Advice on cucumbers please
« on: June 24, 2011, 21:55 »
Hi  I have 2 healthy cucumber plants both have about 10, 1/2 inch long cues on them.  But they have'nt got any bigger in the last two weeks. New flowers and cues forming. I grew them from seed and gave my mother a plant which so far has produced 3 10inch cues
anyone had this happen to them   

BabbyAnn

Re: Advice on cucumbers please
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 05:03 »
oh, this happened to me when I grew my first cucumber (Telegraph Improved) many years ago.  I'm sure someone advised me to nip off some of the fruits so that all the energy could go into one of them to develop properly - a bit like, the more you crop eg courgettes, the more they produce flowers and fruits scenario.

Before you take the surplus off, I would feel a bit happier if someone else could confirm this!!   I've always grown Marketmore and Crystal Lemon since then and never had the same problem so I can't be sure if what I did was right or wrong.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:10 »
I always pinch of the first few that set, cos they seem to stop any others fattening up.
Once the routine has started they seem ok, though, as the plant will 'drop' any that are too many to cope with

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:02 »
My outdoor cuc's...(marketmore)...are really struggling,something keeps munching them at ground level,I arrive at the plot to find another toppled over and wilted.I'm certain it's not slugs....keep replacing them but currently there are only two left :(.....none of the other squashes/courgettes in the same bed are affected.....beginning to think cuc's are going to be off the menu this summer :unsure:

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:08 »
For many of us it has not been a good year for cukes.  :( And they are my favourite veggie.  :( :(

If you are sure that it is not slugs that are going for your cucumbers - check your watering. They do not like to get their stems wet especially at ground level and are liable to rot and die. 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 13:28 »
This year I'm doing an experiment with my outdoor cucumbers. I've got 4 plants in 2 growbags, 2 directly into the bags and 2 in bottomless pots sitting on top of the bag. We're not far into the season and none have started fruiting yet, but even now the 2 in pots look way stronger and healthier than the 2 directly into the growbags. In fact, one of the latter looks like it's dying. I haven't fed them with anything and haven't done an awful lot of watering because we've had quite a lot of rain since they went out, but when I did water both bags were watered into a separate hole in the bag.

Ropster

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 15:34 »
I think if there is a lot of fruit you need a lot of water, mine were like yours so I turned up the speed of irrigation (I use adjustable dripers) and they are showind signs of filling out now

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 15:52 »
If your weather is somewhat cool, cukes just won't grow until the weather warms up as they're decidedly a hot weather crop. That could be a big part of the problem - they're just in a holding pattern waiting for better weather.

rubyrose

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 22:51 »
thanks everyone
think I will take the first 3 or 4 off and see if it heips

xx
Marketmore cucumbers any advice

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 10:47
by BabbyAnn
xx
Pinching out cucumbers, advice pleas

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2016, 09:02
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
My cucumbers are not growing, advice requested.

Started by slingshot2000 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 17:26
by Salmo
xx
Advice needed on planting cucumbers with strawberries

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 16:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.64 seconds with 38 queries.