Hatching Eggs - where do I start?

• 10 Replies

Bev

• Experienced Member
Hatching Eggs - where do I start?
« on: June 24, 2011, 20:03 »
Hi,

???

I really want to get hold of some Welsummers and there don't seem to be any available any where near where I live - South Northamptonshire just incase anyone has any! I am thinking I might get some hatching eggs off E-bay and try hatching some out.

I have been searching the forums and picked up a few tips. Is there a good 'how to do it' guide any where?

My neighbour usually has at least 1 broody hen and my friend certainly had one recently and I believe that is the easiest way but I do have a friend with an incubator who will lend it to me if need be.

Is it wise to buy off E-bay, I realise there is a risk of eggs being damaged or roughly handled in the post and would be prepared to take that risk or maybe drive to pick them up, the nearest ones I have seen tonight are 50 mins drive from me, is it worth the drive or would you get them posted?

Once I get them is a bantam going to be able to look after 6 large hens eggs?

Is it very difficult to rear little chicks?

Want to arm myself with information before getting them. Is it too late in the year now?

I look forward to your replies and have enjoyed the chick photos on the forum! Aaaahhh

Bev

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hatching Eggs - where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 20:09 »
I have bought eggs off ebay with varying results - out of 12 silver millefleur sabelpoots only 1 hatched, out of 12 lavender sabelpoots I got 9, out of 6 black I got 5 and out of 6 mottled buff I got 4. All of these came through the post. Personally I would advocate buying from a local person or be prepared to travel and fetch them as 1 lot of mine took 5 days in the postal system (and none of these hatched  :().
Staffies are softer than you think.

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 20:14 »
Hi, I too have bought off ebay and had no success with the first lot, my second lot are due to hatch on Tuesday but 4 have candled fertile so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  All I would say is scrutinise the feedback and see if you can find feedback relating to the hatching success which gives you some idea at least.

I found a very useful 'hatching with a broody' guide at the website below if that helps.

Happy hatching.

http://www.gilburyfarm.co.uk/
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 20:23 »
When looking for eggs I did a search on ebay for what I wanted and selected the 'distance nearest first' option. I then sent the seller a message and went to meet him, he lived about an hour away but it was worth driving out there as 10 out of 11 eggs were fertile. I also know that if the hatch rate isn't great, he will have chicks of a similar age ready and waiting.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 00:31 »
Why not consider joining The Welsummer Club, or at least checking out their site for reputable breeders.

All the best
Sue

Dark Brown Eggs
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 00:58 »
Some good advice there.  Certainly do all you can to determine if the seller is reputable and their stock is healthy.  Diseases can be passed through hatching eggs so don't take things for granted.  Buying off ebay you are buying a pig in a poke and although many sellers are genuine enthusiasts selling what they believe are good hatching eggs there are some rogues too.  Trying the Welsummers club is a very good idea and one i'd certainly follow up this in preference to ebay as you are likely to get good productive stock.

If you want eggs ask about the productivity of the parent birds.

A bantam will struggle to cover 6 L/F eggs and if you use a broody you'll need to setup a broody coop which will be suitable you can't just hatch eggs in a laying house with other hens around.

It's not too late though not optimum either.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:00 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 19:31 »
I got ours from ebay, fertility was 3 out of 6 for the Dutch bantams and 12 out of 18 for the Sablepoots.  Eils made our broody coop but recently I found a site selling a rodent, as in rabbit/guinea pig, house which we got for some rabbits but mum and chicks have taken up residence with the odd 'aunty' joining them at night.  I think it cost under £30 inc delivery and to be honest it's the perfect size for a broody coop.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 20:50 »
Thanks everyone. I didn't know there was a welsummer club. I am off to have a look  for that in a mo. Have checked with my neighbour and she has a broody hen and a little nursery house and run for the mum and chicks that I can borrow. Think I will send my husband on his motorbike to fetch eggs. Will wait for friend with incubator to return from Glastonbury though as she may have a large broody hen too.

bev

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 14:55 »
Hi Again,

Not found any through the Welsummer club.

Did find some day old chicks though just south of Oxford. Have e-mailed to see if I can reserve some. I have a very stupid question...

Can you put week old chicks under a broody hen or would I need to get hold of a heat lamp?

Will they need any thing other than chick crumbs, very shallow tray of water. Heat lamp and nice warm box to sleep in. Nursery house and run away from my other hens.

Indoors at night?

Oooo, it is so exciting, can't wait to find out if I can get some.

Bev

captngit

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 19:36 »
hatching eggs and chicks are available at acorn nurserys stadhampton (oxford) good place to buy from ive been very happy with my purchases from them

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 22:42 »
I brough 6 light sussex eggs of e-bay last year and out of the 6 five hatched.

Read up on it first cuz you need a few extras and if you are using an incubator you need even more stuff.

I've tried both ways and the broody was the easiest cuz mum does all the work like keeps the chicks warm (so no head for heat lamps etc)

Toni

xx
Mixed start hatching. Discuss!

Started by davebeccles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 12:26
by Casey76
xx
Hatching out eggs

Started by teresac on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 19:19
by Viv
xx
hatching eggs?

Started by spoofer28 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 23:40
by Gardening Mark
xx
Hatching eggs, anyone?

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 23:23
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.