Strawberry Albion

• 8 Replies

JohnB47

Strawberry Albion
« on: June 24, 2011, 17:41 »
Just bought 5 potted plants, some with fruit already on them. I'm hoping to get them on the plot in the next few days.

So, two questions. I read somewhere that you shouldn't plant new strawbs on ground previously used for strawbs. Is that a hard and fast rule?

Second, should I nip off all flowers from these plants this year, to give a better chance of a copious bounty next year (which is why I bought them, really)? I think the answer to this is 'yes' but you know how it is - delayed gratification is all very well as a concept but ....

Cheers.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Strawberry Albion
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 18:24 »
My patch of Albion strawberries is a row of last year's runners; although the plants were obviously quite small they have already produced their first crop of strawberries, and are now busy growing into quite large plants and I expect a substantial second flush of berries sooner rather than later (just like their parent!)

The theory that the better you let the plant establish the more fruit you will get next year is no doubt quite sound, hence the removal of first year flowers, but all I've done is remove the new runners (if you have mixed feelings about strawberries you won't once you taste these!)  :)

Again with re-planting in the same soil, strawberries can suffer from various viruses and also like well-drained soil with plenty of humus; you would have to cross your fingers for the former and prepare the bed well for the latter (there aren't that many really unbreakable rules, and some people are forced into less than ideal practices by various limitations, usually lack of space in my case!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 20:38 »
Thanks.

So they taste good? I'm growing 'Florence' now which are big and delicious. The fruiting season is really long (started in early June and still loads more to go) but will eventually run out of steam.

I heard about Albion and thought I'd extend the season with them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:09 »
Thanks.

So they taste good? I'm growing 'Florence' now which are big and delicious. The fruiting season is really long (started in early June and still loads more to go) but will eventually run out of steam.

I heard about Albion and thought I'd extend the season with them.

They are an everbearer (a pretty vague term if ever there was one!) and this is what an RHS "blog" has to say about them (for some reason he seems to have hedged his bets as to whether they are the same amazingly deep red throughout but I can assure you they are!)  :)

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:39 »
Thanks.

Interesting read. That guy says you can increase the yield by cutting off all the runners but I read somewhere else that Albion doesn't produce runners and you need to propagate by splitting the plant (like rhubarb).

Actually, of the ones I've bought, a few seem to have two 'crowns', meaning that I could split them before I plant and get more next year. Would you think that's a good idea and does yours produce runners?

Cheers.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 13:29 »
They sure do produce runners; that's where this year's plants came from - all 30 of them (from a single parent, but they are clean, well fed and perfectly behaved!)  :)

I know what you mean by a double crown; mine was the same but with only one plant I didn't want to push my luck by dividing it and losing them both - others might have a better idea whether dividing is a good practice or not.

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 15:54 »
Ta.

So, loads of Albion plants in store for the future.

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 23:20 »
Popped into two local garden centres today but no Albion plants to be had.

Plenty of other varieties though and eventually settled on one plant each of Loran and Roman at £1.40 apiece. Labels say they both fruit from June to first frosts. Are they everbearers or have I been taken in?
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

gobs

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 23:33 »
About dividing: some garden centre bought strbs - Albion or not - in summer come in large pots with already multiple crowns. The growing advice was, do not devide them in the first year, but the second.

Tthat's just what I did. They produced excellently both seasons. So I would not at all shy away from cropping them. I also do not think it is a general advice for strawberry growing, to save the first year.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Albion perpetual strawberry

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 06:52
by rao
xx
Albion strawberries

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 19:37
by viettaclark
xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
clip
Strawberry

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2016, 17:14
by Yorkshire Lass

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 37 queries.