ON HER OWN

• 8 Replies

JACDORE

ON HER OWN
« on: June 23, 2011, 17:04 »
Just lost the other day one of my girls  :(.  Now have just the one left, can she be left on her own or does she need company?
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: ON HER OWN
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 17:35 »
she really needs company - chickens are very social animals.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 17:37 »
Sorry to hear about your loss.  I'm no expert but chickens are a flock animal and I would suggest she could do with some company.
Best Wishes and good luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

JACDORE

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 17:43 »
thats what we thought.  She is a rhode rock black and is coming up for 3.  Whats the best age to get for her and will it be bad introducing her to some more.  Were thinking of getting a duck or 2 as well, thought???

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 08:23 »
People do successfully keep ducks with hens. You need to bear in mind if you use the same house that chooks perch and the ducks will settle beneath them and get pooped on! Not ideal. Also a drake may not be particular when he feels amorous :ohmy: :blink:

You definitely need to get her some company :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Laydies

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 20:32 »
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your laydie - we have just lost our bluebelle yesterday and am now left with a solitary Rhode Rock so am in the same situation as yourself.
Our laydie is about 16 months old... and has yet to lay an egg - which is beside the point, we love her dearly and want to do the best for her.  We are very concerned about her being on her own and deciding to what will be best to do.. 
your location isn't shown - I wonder if you might be local to the West mids?

JACDORE

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 11:52 »
i'm northants.  The lady (Madras) who was left on her own is a Rhode rock black.  For about 4 days it was so sad to watch her she came into the house 90% of the time to have company either from me, the dogs or the cats.  So yesterday we went to a friends animal rescue and they have ex-battery hens there so we took 5 new little friends for Maddy (Madras).  We put the 5 in a large shed with Maddy outside, gosh she kept running round the shed chatting away to them and making noises I had never heard before.  We let her meet for 5 mins and she rushed in and all went very well.  Then seperated again till 9pm bed time where we put them all together in the hen house.  All went well.  They came out this morning, fed and watered well, had a run about, had the odd peck and the 5 have now gone back into the hen house as if to say that was lovely being outside but were not used to it yet.  Bless em.  We know it'll take 2-3 weeks before they truly settle but Maddy now has friends and seems so much happier.  The new five are Tikka,  Bhuna,  (Madras - the original) Eggwina and Posh & Pecks.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 13:07 »
She DEFINITELY needs company!  At least two other hens!  Chickens are flock birds and need to be part of one to function normally. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 13:11 »
Lovely to hear she has a new family and that they are getting on well. Pics please!  :D

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 37 queries.