new hens meeting my ladies

• 1 Replies

neenyneen

new hens meeting my ladies
« on: June 23, 2011, 14:13 »
i may be inheriting 2 hens from my friends mums partner, they can no longer care for them as they are moving to a pub and aren't allowed pets there, so i have offered to take them in if they cannot find anyone nearer to them to have them. They are about 18 months old, my ladies are about 23-25 weeks ish, how would i go about introducing them to each other? im only getting them in about 2 weeks i think (if at all :(). will there be a lot of fighting? also one of my ladies has just started laying (1st egg yesterday!), so should i expect a drop in egg production from all parties?  :wacko:
love my chickens me! :-)

bantam novice

Re: new hens meeting my ladies
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 18:52 »
Hello there
If you have the accommodation and space the best thing would be to keep them separate but in sight of each other for about two weeks.  The two groups can get used to each other.  This can also be a quarentine so that they don't pass on any nasties to your girls.  Then you can put them on the perch in the coop with your other girls at night, preferably after dark.
There will be some vying for pecking order and this can turn quite nasty so have some purple spray handy.
Good luck and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
the chicken meeting

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:41
by richyrich7
clip
My First Ladies

Started by MidlandBrewer on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 24, 2016, 22:15
by MKD
xx
New ladies.

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2015, 23:44
by grinling
xx
New ladies

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 20:13
by CluckyChicken

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 36 queries.