Bleeding from back passage

• 8 Replies

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Bleeding from back passage
« on: June 21, 2011, 21:33 »
Help please, Ive just called my girls in for the night and one of them is bleeding from her back passage, it looks  as if she may have a prolapse, but when I  gently press it the swelling goes in.  Her breathing is quite fast but otherwise looks well with a lovely bright red comb and wattles. For  the moment I have bought her in doors and put her in a box with water. Any ideas as to what it could be and what I should do. Anxious...Karen

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
Re: Bleeding from back passage
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 22:18 »
Ok I've google searched and am upset by what I have learned. it sounds like peritonitis, her stomach is squishy, and one of my hens has been laying soft shelled eggs, so probably her. a visit to the vet is on the agenda tomorrow, but I dont hold out much hope. :(

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 22:29 »
You never know, she could be ok and get over it. You're doing the right thing though and the vet will be able to say what's what.  Fingers crossed for you  :)

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 22:37 »
Does it look like a pink fleshy mass thats protruding? If it it then it's probably a prolapse, which is treatable. I dont think a broken egg would cause anything to come out that could be pushed back in? Google some pictures of prolapses and see what you think? xx Dont panic, you'd be suprised how tough chickens are x
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:22 »
Ok I took her to the vet and she was put to sleep. We think she developed egg yolk peritonitis. Her temperature was off the scale. She had been laying soft shelled eggs for a while although with 8 chooks we were'nt sure which one was actually laying them, but it must have been her.She could have been treated but there was a high chance that it would happened again. She had a good diet so wasnt lacking anything.  :( We had a really odd egg too, it was tiny and when I cracked it there was no yolk in there.  :unsure: We had been away for the weekend and a friend had kept an eye on the girlies, when we got back I was ill  with a nasty bug so in bed for a few days so not quite as vigilant as normal watching my girlies, so she could have been going downhill for a few days :( if we'd picked up on her condition  earlier........?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35 »
the odd egg would have been a wind egg (also known as witches egg, fart egg etc), these do sometimes but don't mean anything is wrong so don't panic over that  :).
Sorry about your girlie though xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:12 »
So sorry to hear that  :(  I lost two girls to it and it's very upsetting as you do all you can but nothing works. One of mine got over it the first time only to get it again

It's just one of those things that hens suffer from so there was nothing you could do. You got treatment for her so don't beat yourself up over it

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:12 »
Ahhh, sorry for you and your girly :( xx

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 18:45 »
So sorry  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
ducks: unknown ' passage ' any ideas ????

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 13:30
by daveinmanc
xx
Bleeding from eye

Started by ktc on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 07:23
by sneezer
xx
HELP!!!!!! bleeding hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 10:03
by raeburg
exclamation
Bleeding toe!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 19:06
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 37 queries.