advice needed re: Call ducks and water

• 6 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
advice needed re: Call ducks and water
« on: June 21, 2011, 15:21 »
Our broody hen has now returned to the big coop and left the 6 call ducklings to get on with it.
At present they are in a protected run 4ft x 20ft, and are let out to free range for an hour a couple of times a day, so we have several bowls around for them to splash in.

The bowls are around a fairly large pond which the ducklings have shown no interest in, and when one fell in it rapidy scrambled out. My question is... do call ducks fear large areas of water is are ours "slow" as they were raised by a hen?
Thanks
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Sassy

Re: advice needed re: Call ducks and water
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 17:09 »
I can't comment on call ducks specifically but when some friends had a hen raise some runners they instinctively went to water and swam - much to the distress of the hen!! You don't say how old these ducklings are maybe that is a factor. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Madclucker

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 17:59 »
We have a call duck and three runners and they all love the water, we let them swim in the bath at home when they were young and they now have a large corner bath on the allotment full to the brim and the call duck dives under the water and really loves it.

I'd give them time, once one goes in the rest will follow.

Or if you like a gentle nudge never hurt no one  :D

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 21:38 »
My baby call are about 10 days old. Raised indoors  in an incubator, now under a heat pad, not been outside yet. They have water to drink but once a day we put them in the bath, lukewarm for about twenty minutes. they appear to love it.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:34 »
Hi all, thanks for your replies,

They are 7 weeks old now, they were raised outside in a broody coop with "mum". The first swimming pool was a oven dish 1in high by 6 ins, next came a cut down washing up bowl and them a full washing up bowl.  All these had appropriate sized pebbles or stones in.
Now they have a cut down barrel which they can all just about fit in now and a baby bath which is just a little bit deeper than the barrel.  They just do not have any interest in the pond.  It's not something that is important and when they freerange one of us is always with them, I imagine it's just a matter of time.  If I come back and ask "How do you get ducks off the pond, Please tell me off!!!" LOL

Thanks again folks

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:19 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:44 »
My babies went in the run outside yesterday for the first time. I was worried that they would get cold, but they were fine. In and out of the water having a lovely time ::) I kept checking them and no problems. When I went to bring them in  early evening they were all as warm as toast. They'll be 2 weeks old next Sunday.

xx
crested call ducks, any advice?

Started by freshers on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 23:03
by blulagoo
xx
advice on ducks needed

Started by paddy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 20:42
by paddy
xx
Two of my three ducks are boys!! Advice needed

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 13:55
by Caralou
xx
Ducklings and water, advice needed urgently

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 18:06
by Caralou

Page created in 0.742 seconds with 36 queries.