So very p***ed off allotmenting......

• 28 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: So very p***ed off allotmenting......
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 07:14 »
We seem to have had a hard time with crops getting eaten this year too, so i managed to get another lot sown and made some kick as frame's and netting and canes with stuff tied to them. We might just have cracked it we have had to use slug pellets and go squashing things quite often.  Have a go you still got time to get stuff in for this year.  
Keep your chin up my friend
Thanks
Kris

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 08:00 »
Growing at home has it's advantages, as it's much easier to spend a little time here, a little there.

The allotment has the advantage of space.

Here's what I would do (and sorry to all the organic minded guys and gals out there). If starting with a very weedy plot I'd wait until it's all started to grow and then glyphos the whole lot. A couple of weeks later I'd hire a mini digger and dig it all over. Then leave it for a couple of weeks and re-apply. The weed killer.

I know it might not be the done thing, but then it would be in a state where I could do something with it.

Maybe for you the thing would be to grow low maintenance on your plot and grow the tender crops at home? Spuds, fruit canes and bushes, onions, garlic and the like on the plot. Brassicas with their temperamental ways at home.

Don't give up yet. There's always next year and a new plan. And remember to do what's right for you, which isn't always what the OB on the plot next door says.
I have to say Simon i'm very much minded toward your train of thought. To lose the plot may mean not getting another back and i have bonded well with my neighbouring plot holders and i wouldn't want to throw that away. I think i have room for another 8' x 4' raised bed at home and i'll think i'll fill the plot with spuds which are easier to maintain and not so attractive to the birds etc. I'll grow the more finicky stuff at home and i'll then get the best of both worlds. As for glyphosating, i'm okay with that. Glypho becomes inert on soil contact and to help me get on top of the chickweed and dandy's i'm fine. I'm in the organic way of thinking but don't mind a bit of Roundup! It's insecticides i wouldn't use as they are the nasties.....

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 13:28 »
I'm finding the time-balancing a bit tricky as well, and I've only got a quarter plot.  I need to spend time on the garden, and on the plot, and all the other things I need/want to get done, and I end up feeling a bit overwhelmed.

I keep wondering whether I should keep my plot but I seem to be just about managing so far.  My long term plan is to dig up all the grass paths to reduce the couch grass (gradually doing more every late autumn/early spring when the ground's soft and there isn't as much weeding) and add more fruit bushes every year.  In the mean time I keep tinkering with which plants can go at home in pots (mangetout, tomatoes, lettuces), which should definitely go on the plot (squashes, climbing beans), and which ones I might want to leave out altogether (potatoes if I'm busy at planting time like this year; probably onions next year; thinking about leaving out carrots as they have to be netted/fleeced which makes weeding more difficult), and so on.

Don't beat yourself up over it, whatever decision you take.

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 15:52 »
I'm finding the time-balancing a bit tricky as well, and I've only got a quarter plot.  I need to spend time on the garden, and on the plot, and all the other things I need/want to get done, and I end up feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Don't beat yourself up over it, whatever decision you take.

Time or lack of it is a problem for me too. I spend a large part of every day of the week looking after my parents. I have a home, garden, greenhouse and family of my own (almots forgot them  :lol:) as well as one and a half plots.

Presently I need to work on our kitchen re-fit (the longest in history) as well as keep up with everything else. The bonus for me is early-retirement but I'm sure I have more to do now or perhaps it just feels like it.  ::)

Loads of potatoes on 1/2 a plot, 2 fruit trees and some other relatively easy crops are making working the plot manageable.... although I'd often prefer to be there when I am somewhere else. Feeling tired sometimes means I don't go to the plot when I could  :( but I'll do my best to keep it going and in good order. It's a life-line in a busy, demanding routine. It's "me time"!  :happy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 16:00 »
So that kitchen is still not finished then   ;) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 20:35 »
Whilst Jay's advice isn't bad in itself, you'd need to check whether simply leaving the plot under cover for the season will be acceptable.

On our site, you need to be actively cultivating; just doing as Jay suggests would lead to you getting warning letters.

I must admit that inaction (or percieved in inaction) will generate a letter from our Allotment Police, however it could be argued that it is doing the plot good in the long run, and it is better than half the plot covered in waist height weeds.  I'm sure a courteous letter to advise of any intended covering would find a sympathetic ear.  If not, just take twice as long and do half at a time.

Afterall we are in this for the long haul, not a couple of productive seasons.  8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 20:43 »
I'm sorry to disagree with your comments Jay, but how can it be better for a plot to lie inactive beneath plastic than to be cultivated as intended / required?

I agree that it's better to be covered than weedy, of course!  However, the tenancy states the plot is to be cultivated.  That's the purpose of the allotment.  With waiting lists of years long, a letter informing the council about plans to leave it uncultivated for a year would receive relatively short shrift.

This isn't a comment about what the original poster should do, just a reflection on Jay's suggestion to leave it fallow.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 22:07 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 21:49 »
I took on a very overgrown plot when I got my allotment, so I sympathise.  It can all seem like a mountain to climb and it's gutting to lose crops and feel the weeds taking back over, but don't let it get to you and don't give up yet  :D

Your plan of growing big easy care veg while you gain control was how I tamed the wilderness.  I used glyphosate weed killer, then covered about 3/4 of the plot with big veg - potatoes, squash, courgettes, sweetcorn and the like.  You can plant through black plastic if you have to.  I then cleared the remaining 1/4 by thoroughly digging it several times and planted smaller stuff there.  Next season, I tackled another 1/4 and so on.

I won't claim to be weed free now and I still take a hand sprayer of glyphosate each time for bindweed and dandelions that stick their heads up, but you get there  ;)

Time is an issue for me as well, but choose your crops to suit your available time and you'll do OK  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 22:06 »
So that kitchen is still not finished then   ;) :)

Started end of 2010. At the time I disagreed with 'er indoors and said it would take longer than her forecast of two months.
I said three!  :blink:

At least the new oven isn't getting worn out or damaged sitting in its cardboard packaging.  ::)

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 17:19 »
Loads of potatoes on 1/2 a plot, 2 fruit trees and some other relatively easy crops are making working the plot manageable....

I think Learner has good points here.  We don't have enough room in our garden to grow the full amount of potatoes we would like and sometimes muse on going on a waiting list for a 1/4 or 1/2 plot just to grow this volume kind of stuff.

Potatoes and other stuff that isn't quite so tempting to slug-type pests are a good idea to grow volumes of and it will take up the space too.  Very good idea on the mini fruit trees as they will add a bit of structure and interest.  What about a rhubard plant or two?  They just keep on producing once established and with those large leaves, more space used up.

Have you thought of sharing the plot (on your own 'unofficial' terms maybe, like that landshare scheme.  A friend or colleague or someone you know is waiting for a plot could help you manage and grow and share the produce with them?

Just a thought.... :)

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 20:35 »
Presently I need to work on our kitchen re-fit (the longest in history) ... 

I bet ours has taken longer than yours! :tongue2:

... i'll think i'll fill the plot with spuds which are easier to maintain and not so attractive to the birds etc. I'll grow the more finicky stuff at home and i'll then get the best of both worlds.

I think that's an excellent plan. Good luck

holywear

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 20:42 »

It is frustrating that weeds keep growing and pigeons love our lovely freshly grown food.  What is lovely is to watch the blackbird follow you round the garden when weeding looking for worms.

I just love the privacy and although it is hard work I find it so therapeutic.

Plenty of slug pellets, greens well covered and plenty of patience.

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 21:46 »
If time is tight, it might be worth looking at the 30 minute allotment book, some good tips in there for saving time!

AnneB

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 22:25 »
Alternatively, you could end up like Mr. B. and I.  Our allotment is getting there, with produce and raised beds (but still with plenty of horsetail and an untamed bit).  However the garden at home looks a bit straggly to say the least and I have a permanent collection of around 6 baskets of ironing that never gets to the wardrobe and I keep forgetting family birthdays and so on.

xx
New here, new to allotmenting!

Started by emma5306 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 10:54
by DD.
xx
Carry-On Allotmenting

Started by SimonWray on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 23:15
by till730
xx
Got a few days off for allotmenting

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 20:55
by potatopotato

Page created in 0.972 seconds with 29 queries.