A blockage or worse?

• 6 Replies

happychickens

A blockage or worse?
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:43 »
Noticed yesterday one of my normally lively chickens was rather quiet, on picking her up shocked at loss of weight.  Her crop looked full first thing, which is not normal, on doing a rub over of the crop area it felt blocked, did some gentle massage and managed to get some water down her with a syringe, had water down but did not put any feed down for the chickens for several hours yesterday, left them to walk about the garden, last night gave them loads of greens to eat, (even though there is grass everywhere) then normal feed before bed, this morning she is brighter than yesterday, but, still has stuff in her crop - my question really is how well do chickens do if they have an op to see what the blockage is?  Don't want to put her through that option if its just simply distressing for her as going to the vets this afternoon?  All advice more than welcome. :(

compostqueen

Re: A blockage or worse?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48 »
there are a few threads on here about sour crop so please read those as people will have experienced this problem. I lost my girl to this only recently so I'm glad you're off to the vet.  Early treatment is important if you're to get top side of this as antibiotics and/or antifungals maybe required

happychickens

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:32 »
She is now at vets and the are probably going to operate on her to see if they can get the blockage clear with a local or maybe a whiff of gas as well. :(

happychickens

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 15:21 »
The vet has, under a local opened up her crop and cleaned it out, all he can think is more grit - there is grit at several points around the property that the girls help themselves to so not sure if there is anything else anyone recommends, apart from that they could see no reason for the blockage, hoping its a combination of a greedy and not at the same time thirsty chicken.  Anyway she is home and mad at me for not letting her out with the others. :dry:

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 15:30 »
Hi glad your girl is back home and i hope she makes a full recovery, do you have any long grass areas because these will cause a blockage as the grass tangles up, also make sure they are not given grass clippings as these may cause sour crop, good luck with your girl :)

happychickens

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 16:46 »
Hi  They range the garden, there is some long grass against some of the walls, but, balance between chickens and wildlife means I do like to keep some long grass, maybe about an inch from the walls for about 200ft, the chickens like to rake around in the base of it for bugs but seem more than content to munch on the grass.  She looks lively enough and has a really mournful chatter when I go into the garage to see her so have put one of the other hens in with her and they are now both quietly mournful together -  anyway the main thing is she is home and looks healtheir so will just have to keep my eye on her for the rest of the week  :blush:  Thanks

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:52 »
I'm glad to hear that she's home and seems ok

The vet would not open up my girl's crop as he felt she was too old and would not survive, but she had medication but it was too late. So, I'm glad you got her help soon enough  :)

xx
Ducks with an egg blockage!

Started by Pinti on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 21:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Ex Battery Hens now looking worse than when I got them.

Started by maggiemc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 10:43
by cejx
xx
worse luck in the world!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 08:17
by joyfull

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 27 queries.