My winter onions....

• 6 Replies

Benandbill

My winter onions....
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:58 »
...are getting their skins, are all well above the ground, are a decent size and about 3 weeks ago I noticed about 4 out of 30 odd of them's leaves were on the deck.  At the time I guessed that was because an animal might have run across the plot as they're certainly not brown or withered.  All the leaves are still quite green and even puffy and ripe looking but now the majority of them are lying down. 

Should I pull these up a bit now leaving just a few of the roots in the ground so the onions dry off?

Here's a question, I'm going to be looking for some space soon for butternut squash, caulis, or some PSB.  Bearing in mind caulis were there before I planted these onions, do you think I'l be able to grow anything here once I've got them all up, or should I leave the ground and treat it?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: My winter onions....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:12 »
The advice from the RHS nowdays is to leave as be for a further 2-3 weeks, then carefully lift and dry well for another 2-3 weeks. It used to be recommended to bend any remaining tops over and break the roots by easing up with a fork. They say not to use this method now.

Do bear in mind that winter onions are not good storers, so I'd set off straight away eating them!

I'll be putting in spring cabbage & caulis into the ground vacated by my onions.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:56 »
Every one of our autumn onions has bolted this year, so we shall be eating them quickly  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Benandbill

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19 »
I sure as anything won't be watering them with any more sheep manure water, don't want to catch anything nasty off them, will be doing the 2 - 3 week thing though DD so thanks for that bit of advice!!

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 14:49 »
I personally wouldn't plant brassicas there as you had them there the year before(rotation).
The squash should be fine but give the ground a good feed as both squash and onions are hungry plants

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 14:50 »
I personally wouldn't plant brassicas there as you had them there the year before(rotation).
The squash should be fine but give the ground a good feed as both squash and onions are hungry plants

Not everyone has exactly the same rotation   :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 14:53 »
Also - don't get too hung up about rotation until you're settled down a bit, a bit of deviation from strict rotation is OK short term.

Brassicas are generally recommended to follow onions and this is a good chance to get that bit of rotation in order,

xx
Winter Onions

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 09:27
by mumofstig
question
Help with my winter onions please

Started by davel831 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 07:38
by davel831
xx
Winter onions

Started by trinamc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 21:47
by sunshineband
xx
Winter onions

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 10:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 36 queries.