Cucumber leaves yellowing

• 4 Replies

squowse

« on: June 18, 2011, 13:49 »

Hello all!
First post, long time lurker..
I was hoping someone would be able to suggest what is happening to my (indoor) cucumber plants. They are generally very healthy, growing fast and producing fruit but are all suffering from the same affliction - the lower leaves have a mosiac like yellow marking and they produce some "still-born" fruits, going yellow very early and shrivellling (i nip these off so the plant can concentrate on the other more successful fruits).
I feed them weekly with homemade comfrey liquid (dilute) and a dash of seaweed liquid but maybe they are still deficient in something?
There are some more hi-res photos here - https://picasaweb.google.com/109312613228732886219/Cucumbers?authkey=Gv1sRgCNHe6oXE-5j41wE&feat=directlink
Thanks for you help!
Roger

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumber leaves yellowing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 14:35 »
Welcome Roger.
First question is what size pots are they in they look a bit on the small size? They may have run out of nutrients early, if the pot is on the small size.
Are they being watered enough? mine are taking half a pint, sometimes 1pint, everyday, and they're still dropping some fruits. This is normal, IMO as the plant only fattens as many as it can support at any time..
Your leaf problem is only on the bottom few leaves, new growth seems ok, so remove affected leaves.
Perhaps a change to a tomato food with added magnesium may be all they need. Carry on with the seaweed as well :)

squowse

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 16:10 »
Thanks for your reply!
They are in 9 to 12 inch pots of a mixture of potting compost and coir fibre.
I just give them a good drench of feed once a week, no other watering but I do check that the soil hasn't dried out.
It's quite a strange pattern on the leaves isn't it. They get dehydrated and curl up at the edges in the end. I'll take them all off I think.

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 16:12 »

squowse

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 16:53 »
I hope not. I am thinking it is magnesium deficiency, as the photos I have seen are very similar, and over-use of high-potash fertiliser has been implicated in stopping the plants being able to absorb it.
So I think I will try some epsom salts and lay off the comfrey liquid a bit. It's hard to know how much to dilute it as it's homemade. It is pretty thick stuff though.

clip

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 11:22
by Ma Lowe
xx
Cucumber leaves yellowing advise please.

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 12:27
by mumofstig
xx
Yellowing Strawberry Leaves

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 14:14
by Mr B
xx
First Earlies yellowing leaves

Started by seeNeutral on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 09:08
by seeNeutral

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 38 queries.