Is it a learnt trait?

• 3 Replies

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
Is it a learnt trait?
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:02 »
I have noticed over the last few days of poor weather (rain) that all my adult hens run for cover back to the coop and indoor roost, but the chicks dont bother.  They are quite happy to get drenched and roam the garden in the pouring down rain, although they do dive for cover when it is torrential under densely leaved bushes.

Is running for cover back to the coop something they learn in time or are these girls water lovers?

They have been living in the coop for a while now with the other hens and they know where to go on a night without too much trouble, but for them going in there when it is raining it is proving problematic. 

Are they OK to be left to get this wet or should I be encouraging them to go inside?

4 Ex Batts (Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche & Rose) 1 SLW Bantam  (Lacey) 1 GLW Bantam (Harriet) 2 Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams 2 Silkies & 1 Cream Legbar. 3 Pugs (1 Black & 2 Silver Fawns) I breed and show rabbits of which I have about 80 and judge in the UK and Internationally

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Is it a learnt trait?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:44 »
It might be that they don't like being in the coop if it is crowded even though they don't mind when roosting, they like their own space during the day.  We have a covered run plus the coop and a large open enclosure for our hens.  Our Bovan Goldlines dive for cover first, but our Black Rocks stay out until it is really wet.  Think it is a breed thing as the Black Rocks have really dense feathering.

Don't think it is good for them to get soaked through so you might be better creating them some shelter which is out in the open.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:49 »
Thanks.... there are 4 ex batts and 2 laced wyandotte bantams who share the coop.
It has a 10' x 10' run and is 5' high at its lowest and 8' high at its highest point.  Over 15 different roosts to choose from and plenty of ground space.

The bushes which they are taking cover under are so densely leaved that it is perfectly dry under there and they do have other places in th garden to get away from the bad weather.

(I have found the big girls in one of the rabbitries before now (getting in through a fully open window which is always open to create airflow) which is 20' x 14'

I shall see if I can guide them to somewhere which might not at somepoint cave in under the water on the leaves... LOL

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 14:25 »
If it is wet and not windy you could just put them a garden brollie up!  :lol:

xx
A lesson learnt.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 20:21
by orchardlady
xx
So upset out WS lost the fight, sad lesson learnt :0(

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 12:22
by diamond_lil

Page created in 0.706 seconds with 28 queries.